Anyone have an 'H' series kdx200 kickstart lever assembly?

Got questions? We got answers....
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I need one if its for sale!
2002 KDX 200
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: Anyone have an 'H' series kdx200 kickstart lever assembl

Post by Actionman »

I put this in general because i cant contact the guy that had one he was going to sell me. He apparently cant get pm's.
2002 KDX 200
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

If you don't mind a bit of grinding and have a welder or know someone who does, for about $20 - $25 you can get a complete kickstart from China (aliexpress.com) that'll fit an H series KDX.

You'd want the one with the 16mm boss that is round on the top. The boss is square on the bottom with a tightening bolt. You have to remove the bolt, grind the square corners off to make the boss round all around, and weld the gap closed. Then it looks like a normal KDX boss. You have to do this otherwise the boss won't clear the clutch case.

People knock on chinese quality all the time, but it's a solid kickstart. At the price, you can buy 3 or 4 and have spares on hand for the same price as an OEM or any other option I've seen on this side of the pond. Just takes a bit of elbow grease to modify to fit our KDX's.

Colin
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Thanks for this post. Any chance you could post a picture of a KDX with this kickstart installed?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Took a look at aliexpress site and see they offer a wide variety of ks levers. Could you tell us what their part # is for this one?
Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I saw those on ebay and was wondering if i could make one fit. Good deal!
2002 KDX 200
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

I had one on mine while I was getting my original kickstart fixed up. I measured the boss and once I knew it was 16mm, figured I'd take a chance on an aliexpress kickstart with the same boss diameter. For $20 and free shipping it was low risk - figured if nothing else I could use some parts of it for my bike or one of the other two bikes I have in the garage.

Anyways, long story short, it worked great but since I was just experimenting and I don't have a welder, I ground off the edges and closed the gap with some JB Weld. Held up great for a few months until I had trouble starting it one day (bad plug) and all the kicking broke the JB weld.

I'm certain a proper weld on that gap would give you years of use from that kickstart.

As for part number, there seems to be several aliexpress vendors that offer it. Just search for "16mm" and "kickstart" and stick with the one that looks like the pic posted above. There are at least two other variants - one with a boss that is square on top instead of bottom (won't work - too tall), and another for "big bikes" that has a very deep boss that also won't work (the splines are on the outside edge of the deep boss). I've also seen the one I posted with a 13mm boss option, make sure you get a 16mm one.

Here's two options, not sure how long these links stay accurate though:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/16mm-Kic ... 52143.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Universa ... 89987.html

Colin
osobad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by osobad »

check your msg
bradf
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bradf »

I have one, it's a FRP
'04 220 w/'01 KX250 USD forks, '02 RM125 Showa shock, Rekluse EXP 3.0, LHRB & all RB'd
Thrasher

Post by Thrasher »

How much for the FRP and why are you selling it?