First post, Hello, and price check

Got questions? We got answers....
npm

First post, Hello, and price check

Post by npm »

Hi All,

Old man here, raced an 86 KDX back in the day in the local qualifier series. Trask Mountain Two Day was my favorite, great course and all the big names showed up to run it as it was an ISDE qualifier. Been riding a DRZ 400 for the last 9 years but it just doesn't cut it on the tight single track here in the PNW due to the extra weight. I have great memories of that KDX and I'm looking to get another one. I'll keep the DRZ as it is the perfect do it all bike and I really like it for all the great DS riding we have here.

I'm looking at a 2002 KDX 200 and I'm checking to see what you guys think about the price. When I looked it over last night it didn't look too bad, average maintenance and nothing glaring. The chain and sprockets need to be replaced but the tires are pretty new. He is the second owner and didn't know much about it except to say the previous owner had the suspension set for his weight (what ever that means), doesn't know the jetting, and etc, and appears to have just done basic maintenance during his ownership. Never been apart so I would guess it's due for rings and a piston at some point. I rode it up and down the street and it shifts well, starts easy from cold, and the suspension does seem a bit firmer than stock would be. Pretty much stock except for Renthal bars and an aftermarket pipe.

He's asking 1800. Keep in mind we have a lot of tight trails around here so these bikes don't show up for sale all that often and when they do seem to get a higher price. Thoughts anybody?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: First post, Hello, and price check

Post by 6 Riders »

What part of the PNW are you in? I see a couple decent KDXs on Craigslist right now. Both less that $1800. I also know of one that is for sale that has a Rekluse clutch, Scott's steering damper and other nice goodies. A member here is looking at moving on to a KTM and is going to sell his bike.

Can you post a link to the bike (ad)?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
npm

Post by npm »

Thanks for that, I'm in Hillsboro so I'm talking Browns Camp and Diamond Mill area,steep tight woods, and once or twice a year or so I get into the central part of OR and WA, more open, less dense woods. I looked on Craigslist and see a few cheaper but most are earlier years and I'm thinking I want the latest clean looking H model I can find. The bike is not up on any site, I heard about it from a friend that said his buddy is "thinking" of selling his KDX because he just bought a WR 250. Can you give me more details about the one you mentioned it sounds intersting? PM me with the details if that is the forum etiquette.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

npm wrote:Thanks for that, I'm in Hillsboro so I'm talking Browns Camp and Diamond Mill area,steep tight woods, and once or twice a year or so I get into the central part of OR and WA, more open, less dense woods. I looked on Craigslist and see a few cheaper but most are earlier years and I'm thinking I want the latest clean looking H model I can find. The bike is not up on any site, I heard about it from a friend that said his buddy is "thinking" of selling his KDX because he just bought a WR 250. Can you give me more details about the one you mentioned it sounds intersting? PM me with the details if that is the forum etiquette.
Well, first, when buying a KDX 200, they are the same bike from 1995-2006, so find one in good shape before you worry about what year the bike is. 220s are the same through the years that they where made, the only real difference between the 200 and the 220 is the cylinder and carb. Essentially the same bike as a 200 otherwise (there are a few parts that are different, but not to many). 220s where notorious for having a bad stock piston (the casting was bad), causing the piston skirt to drop off and ruin the bottom end or worse. There are still 220s out there with stock pistons (I just bought one last fall). So beware of that if you buy a 220. Also remember that KDXs run pretty well, even when broken/worn out.
2nd, you have to become a supporting member to send and receive PMs. It doesn't take much and worth 100 times what you end up paying ($1-10 gets you PM and an Avatar). Link; http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 88&t=15658 It helps keep this site up and running AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, AD FREE! :supz:

My friends bike is a 95 200, has a Rekluse clutch (you have to make them for KDXs, they are not buyable) & every guards that you can imagine. Might need a skid plate though, I can't remember. He is a member here...Supermess is his name.
You can e-Mail me at 6Riders@comcast.net if you want more info. on the bike.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type