Go crazy with advice - I am pulling the bottom end apart

Got questions? We got answers....
KanuckKDX

Go crazy with advice - I am pulling the bottom end apart

Post by KanuckKDX »

92 KDX200

The kick starter doesn't engage properly. There is a terrible howl in the bottom end. We haven't done a top end in 3 years, nor taken anything apart to clean and inspect it. The choke doesn't stay on. Front fender is toast. Lights don't work anymore. Missing a spring to hold the muffler to head and leak spooge there. Chain and sprockets are old although they still look good. Tires finished. Clutch probably has notches in the basket.

I suspect there are some mods done. At least reeds and carb tuning since it runs so well. Pulls from the bottom and power to the top.

My mechanic friend has worked on this era KDX dozens of time in the last 15 years. He just finished a total rebuild last winter. He talked me out of a port and polish although he would do it if he was the rider (he raced well for years). But we'll repair everything we can and must.

I will be ordering parts, and will check out Ron Ayers so my questions:

What parts, gaskets, accessories or other doodads would you absolutely replace as a matter of routine? What would you re-use? What aftermarket parts would you absolutely get or avoid?

My goal is to order all the OEM parts I need at once. When he gets to the bottom we'll know what we need. If there's anything you know from expereince we need to get, let me know and I will pass it on.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would suggest that you check the kickstarter mechanism's ratchet gear and spur gear. Mine are both shot in my KDX250, and it has a "doesn't catch every time" kickstarter problem.

On the choke, some have made some good suggestions in a thread I had back in September. You may want to read through those.

You may need a new exhaust gasket AND o-rings. Be sure to check that when you buy a pipe spring.

If I had the bottom end apart on that bike, I would replace EVERY bearing, bushing, seal and pin that can only be replaced when the cases are split. Unlike other bike maintenace areas, I would suggest you go ahead and do it while you have it apart, as it is not easy to just go back in and change somethig else.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: 'If I had the bottom end apart on that bike, I would replace EVERY bearing, bushing, seal and pin that can only be replaced when the cases are split.'

Me, too!

There are better bearings than oem. Well, I believe Ron uses something called a HotShot (read that someplace). I suppose there is a reason for that.

Check the drum and fork shift stuff.

I don't know about the shifter on the KDX. If r/r of that part requires cases to be split, I'd consider one'a those, too. You have to split cases on at least some KTMs to replace that part.

The choke part can be 'fixed'..(jerry rigged), but replacement of the plunger is probably not a bad idea.

I just noticed that Jason's list didn't include gaskets.

I'd replace those too. :roll:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

The shift shaft on most KDX's can be pulled out from the right side after taking off the right side engine cover. I remember hearing something about KTM's being that way (having to split the cases).

They ain't no gaskets in the innards uv it. Thems outside pieces-parts. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128