Stupid Question - But how do you remove the round KIPS cover

Got questions? We got answers....
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

I want to visually inspect that my KIPS is engaging properly at ~6000RPM. I know an easy way to do this is to remove the round cover on the left side of the bike. The one with the notch/slot that is immediately to the left of the rectangular cover with "KIPS" written on it.

I've tried a large flat top screw driver, assuming it's threaded. Won't budge. Is there a trick to removing it? Do I need to wedge something behind it and use some leverage to pop it off?

Thanks,

Colin
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

No, don't lever it! It will come. (I've used pliers and a quarter before when a screwdriver didn't work.)
cstuckless

Re: Stupid Question - But how do you remove the round KIPS c

Post by cstuckless »

Thanks CAL-kawi. Knowing it screws in, I'll have another go at it. Thanks for confirming.

Colin
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

Well after a couple of bent quarters, toonies, washers, and pretty much anything I could find in the garage that fit in the slot, I'm happy to report I finally got that dang cover off. I had to whack it a few times with a hammer and large slotted screwdriver to finally convince it to budge.

When I did finally get it off, it was full of oil. My KIPS gear orientation looks off - the teeth are pretty much straight vertical at the top of the opening. When I rev'd the bike in neutral it kind of wiggled back and forth a small bit but didn't actually turn. I suspect it was just vibration causing it to move slightly. So looks like I've got a KIPS problem to investigate.

Thanks again CAL-kawi.

Colin
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

cstuckless wrote:Well after a couple of bent quarters, toonies, washers, and pretty much anything I could find in the garage that fit in the slot, I'm happy to report I finally got that dang cover off. I had to whack it a few times with a hammer and large slotted screwdriver to finally convince it to budge.

When I did finally get it off, it was full of oil. My KIPS gear orientation looks off - the teeth are pretty much straight vertical at the top of the opening. When I rev'd the bike in neutral it kind of wiggled back and forth a small bit but didn't actually turn. I suspect it was just vibration causing it to move slightly. So looks like I've got a KIPS problem to investigate.

Thanks again CAL-kawi.

Colin
subscribed to see the results
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

Ok, so I got over to the other side and took the KIPS actuator cover off. The KIPS gear turns very easy and smooth. That's the good news. The bad news... well... I present to you, Franken-KIPS-Actuator:

Looks like the previous owner had some trouble with the left handed nut, broke it off, and welded the pawl gear to the shaft as a fix.

You can also see the pawl gear is not mating with the kips gear. I can pull the shaft up and down, it's got about an inch of free play. It also rotates almost completely around without much resistance. Should the pawl gear and shaft be able to move up and down freely like that? Doesn't seem right, that would prevent it from staying in contact with the KIPS gear.

Guess my next step is I have to pull the clutch cases off and see what's going on down below.

Colin
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

cstuckless wrote:Ok, so I got over to the other side and took the KIPS actuator cover off. The KIPS gear turns very easy and smooth. That's the good news. The bad news... well... I present to you, Franken-KIPS-Actuator:

Looks like the previous owner had some trouble with the left handed nut, broke it off, and welded the pawl gear to the shaft as a fix.

You can also see the pawl gear is not mating with the kips gear. I can pull the shaft up and down, it's got about an inch of free play. It also rotates almost completely around without much resistance. Should the pawl gear and shaft be able to move up and down freely like that? Doesn't seem right, that would prevent it from staying in contact with the KIPS gear.

Guess my next step is I have to pull the clutch cases off and see what's going on down below.

Colin
well that sucks. yes, you'll definitely want to pull the clutch side case cover, order a new gasket, and inspect the area for broken pieces floating around. i'll bet you find at least two. the vertical shaft you're looking at with the welded pawl will be one you want to replace, since in the future getting the head on/off will be a real pain with the pawl welded on.
cstuckless

Post by cstuckless »

The vertical motion (you can see in the pic the pawl gear is floating above the KIPS gear) is abnormal right? Means the bottom end pieces are toast? Or is there a set screw or something else that holds the rod in place to prevent any up/down movement?

Colin
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Means the bottom end pieces are toast?
Correct. The pin is broken off.
Look at a parts diagram and take the inner clutch cover off. It will all make sense.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy