kdx220 pipe choice

Got questions? We got answers....
dsmitty

kdx220 pipe choice

Post by dsmitty »

Hi all, i just got a 98 kdx220. the stock pipe is all beat up. Sounds like a lot of guys went with the fmf gnarly woods on the 220. Fredette recommends not to go with the "woods" for the 220. What do you think? FMF gnarly woods, desert, rev, fatty. What about the DG or the Pro Circuit? We ride mostly slow trails small jumps and 2nd gear hill climbing. Every so often opening up. The engine is stock. I threw out the air box lid and put in a twin air filter. I ordered boyesen 607's and i'm going to get the RB carb and head mod. With my new pipe I dont want to loose ANY low end. thats why i bought it. I already have a kdx200. which pipe for the 220 will keep the low end and open it up in the mid and top?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx220 pipe choice

Post by ohgood »

dsmitty wrote:Hi all, i just got a 98 kdx220. the stock pipe is all beat up. Sounds like a lot of guys went with the fmf gnarly woods on the 220. Fredette recommends not to go with the "woods" for the 220. What do you think? FMF gnarly woods, desert, rev, fatty. What about the DG or the Pro Circuit? We ride mostly slow trails small jumps and 2nd gear hill climbing. Every so often opening up. The engine is stock. I threw out the air box lid and put in a twin air filter. I ordered boyesen 607's and i'm going to get the RB carb and head mod. With my new pipe I dont want to loose ANY low end. thats why i bought it. I already have a kdx200. which pipe for the 220 will keep the low end and open it up in the mid and top?
if you have the stock silencer i want it.

get a gnarly and fmf, you'll love it down low... unless you want top end, then get the Rev pipe.
cornishwrecker220

kdx220 pipe choice

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

If you like the bottom end & want to already enhance what you have then fit the "fmf woods " pipe with powercore 2 silencer.
The head & carb mod will greatly improve the power from down low & mid range ....removing the air box lid on the 220 doesn't really do a lot except make a noise! ....I would re fit the lid & just remove the snorkel with an edition of adding a few one inch holes to the top of the lid.
CAL-kawi

kdx220 pipe choice

Post by CAL-kawi »

You'll enjoy that 220 for the type of riding you describe, and the 607s are worthwhile too imo. I have both the 200 and 220, and have tried both pipe profiles on both. I like riding technical trails, and I'll agree with the majority of opinion here that the bigger profile pipes (fmf desert and PC plat 2) are the way to go with the 220. I've currently got the PC2. Slightly better down low than a woods equipped 200, and about the same mid and top. The woods pipe on the 220 (for me anyway) came on too strong right off idle for any technical stuff, and then stays flat as the rpm builds. The 200 is great with both pipe profiles.
Now with a 35mm carb upgrade, that could make the woods pipe a viable option...
I also agree with the previous poster that you might not need to remove the air box lid, at least not for the low elevations I mostly ride (500-2500 ft). A well wrung out air filter and good jetting and you're front wheel will be coming up in 3rd gear roll-on.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

I've got the PC 2 on a 220. I was back and forth on which pipe to get but I'm really happy with it. Runs really well down low and has better pull up top. Also have reeds and removed the snorkel with 2 1inch square holes cut out. Great pipe imo.
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

Thanks so much for the input guys. I forgot to mention that I have to replace the head gasket. So during this week we are going to fix that and clean the carb. The kids and I are going to take it riding this week end and get a feel for it. Then based on the helpful info provided here, I'll pick one. Too bad couldn't have best of the low mid and top out of one pipe! wonder what the Rev or PC2 would do with the Fredette torque ring or that Moose spacer thing for the reed cage. Anyone got used pipes to experiment with instead of spending a grand to go through 3 just to settle on the fourth!!!! :) I'm hearing that the 220 responds really well to Fredette porting. Does the pipe choice depend on which mods are done or are their (the pipes) general characteristics the same regardless of which mods are done.
cornishwrecker220

kdx220 pipe choice

I have a full pro circuit platinum pipe & FMF gnarly for my 220.... I ride the same trails every month & must say I prefer the FMF pipe as its power suits my tight single track trails, the power is very responsive yet linear & builds smooth power right up
Toward the hi end of the power band before falling short ( typical 220 ) .....the 'buldge' of the pro circuit is much fatter than that of the FMF & no doubt will suffer in a fall, the mid range pull is better but again it falls short on the power band, with porting & other mods this pipe will rip but not without some sort of work on the motor ...the pro circuit is more tuned for racing where as the FMF is more designed for low to mid range..
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

nice info. I just read the "newb to site..." Thread and the "Best of best Mods" thread. I got it on the pipes I think. I wonder if I should wait till all the other mods are done. (rb carb/head, ported) then see what personality the bike has and buy the pipe for it then. It sounds like It's got a lot to do with what you want your bike to ride like, for your type of riding. AT this point I'm leaning towards the PC2 for best all around. Just hope it's fat belly don't get dent'd :grin: I Have an '87 200 stock carb. I heard RB"d kdx and stock '87 both 35mm. Would it be any different for the 220 to have a either of these RB'd.
cornishwrecker220

kdx220 pipe choice

The difference between the early 35mm carb & later is different needle & slide cutaway.

If you send your 220 carb off along with. The rest of your parts then Ron will modify your carb etc if you ask....if you want to gain a little more bottom end to your 220 then you could consider fitting a boyesen rad valve , this will improve & compliment your bikes performance.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

I just got the rb mods done on my 220. It's got a PC pipe,boyesen reeds and the snorkel gone. I can't get over how well it goes now.
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
dsmitty

Post by dsmitty »

How does the Fredette port/head/carb. package stack up against the RB cab/head mods. for the 220. Sounds like the FRP port/head/carb mod is awesome also. :supz: Any opinions on the comparison of the two?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

jjavaman wrote:I just got the rb mods done on my 220. It's got a PC pipe,boyesen reeds and the snorkel gone. I can't get over how well it goes now.
man i love hearing this!

anyone want to ditch their stock silencer? i don't mind sacrificing a little power to be in super stealth mode...