Gear shaft stripped

Got questions? We got answers....
Crankn

Gear shaft stripped

Post by Crankn »

Am looking at buying a '97 KDX200 and have been told the gear shaft and gear lever are both stripped. Is it difficult to replace the gear shaft or is it best done by the local dealer?
Is there much involved?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Gear shaft stripped

Post by 6 Riders »

Doesn't. Matter how much it costs to replace, it matters how much you pay for the bike. There is a point where there is no return on your investment which is the cost/enjoyment benefit.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I will pass on guessing your mechanical ability, but as best I can tell one would need:

transmission oil
shifter shaft
shift lever
clutch cover gasket
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Crankn wrote:Am looking at buying a '97 KDX200 and have been told the gear shaft and gear lever are both stripped. Is it difficult to replace the gear shaft or is it best done by the local dealer?
Is there much involved?
if both are stripped i would expect the top end to be trashed, only because it's not a difficult repair, and lazy habits of not fixing things tend to group up on machines.
ICRage42
Supporting Member

Post by ICRage42 »

indeed^^
If you cant fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.
Crankn

Post by Crankn »

ohgood wrote:
Crankn wrote:Am looking at buying a '97 KDX200 and have been told the gear shaft and gear lever are both stripped. Is it difficult to replace the gear shaft or is it best done by the local dealer?
Is there much involved?
if both are stripped i would expect the top end to be trashed, only because it's not a difficult repair, and lazy habits of not fixing things tend to group up on machines.
While I can see where you are coming from I could expect this sort of work could be quite daunting.
I can easily attack a top end but here I am asking you guys what it takes to do a shaft????

Ok I can imaging the side cover comes of to get to the gears without having to split the case. What will I find on the other end of the shaft?. Prolly a gear, maybe circlip or similar to keep it in place. Will this come out easily enough for changeover without any issues?

If it's not a difficult repair then I might be able to do it myself. Just need someone in the know who can tell me what it will take and if there might be further complications that may arise.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

It is not a difficult job. I don't think you need to spilt the case or even remove the engine from the frame. You do need to remove the inner clutch cover.
Check how it all goes in a manual.

( I've welded a shifter to the shift shaft. Ran it like that for years!)
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You don't have to split the cases, just remove the right side cover and the clutch. The whole thing will set you back around $100 (shaft, new lever, seals, right side gasket) assuming you have all the tools and take an hour or two. Easier than a top end job.