Kdx feels flat

Got questions? We got answers....
Marshy

Kdx feels flat

Post by Marshy »

Not had my kdx long got the kips working. And it still feels flat with no kick.

The bike struggles to wheelie maybe a little in second even on Tarmac

After the test ride yesterday I noticed fuel coming out overflow while running. Took carb of and noticed
The brass guide for the float needle valve has marks on edge and in bore and looks like somebody has been trying to get this out before

Jets are 165 48 seems rich

Am disappointed on the performance surley it's not right love how the bike looks

Any help or suggestions would be great thank you
Last edited by Marshy on 06:07 am Jun 19 2015, edited 1 time in total.
Marshy

Re: Kdx feels flat

Post by Marshy »

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Try a new float pin first, I'd say. Make sure float level is correct, jet block gasket is not leaking, and triple check KIPS. Do you happen to know what jets you have in there?
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

Thank you for reply

Main is 165
Pilot 48

I removed the round cover on left of bike the power valve moves
Wasn't convinced it was working due to the lack of power. So I took exhaust off
And disconnected the arm with the paw

I can move the valve by hand and looking into the exhaust port I can see the two side valves opening and a flap at the top
Thanks danny
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Take the little cover off of the arm and run the bike, make sure that the motor is turning the power valve. There is a little pin inside the clutch cover that is known to fail (and jam stuff up when it does). If this is out of place or broken off, your bike won't turn the valves, even if they turn freely by hand.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Bdub200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Bdub200 »

This may be overly obvious, but 2 things to consider after the fuel shut off issue is figured out. Make sure the smaller KIPS exhaust valves (left and right) are synced up to open fully and in unison.

Also, the stock jetting is 100 rich 100% of the time IMO. The revving seemed to double response (from my memory of stock) with proper- leaner jetting. The guide here is awesome and the right jetting for you may be closer to 152-155 main and 38-42 pilot. best of luck maximizing your enjoyment.
Bdub200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Bdub200 »

I should have stated in the 148-155 main jet range...
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kdx feels flat

Post by Keystone »

Is a KDX200 supposed to power wheelie? I enjoy the strong, smooth delivery of power. I've never ridden another KDX200 besides mine, though. I also have the stock pipe on, but I think my bike is jetted to near perfection.

I have a'93 e- series KDX200
155/45
4th clip from top
2 turns out of screw
snorkel removed (no holes drilled)
stock pipe
boysen reeds
1500' ft. elevation (Pennsylvania)
70-80-F
fresh silencer packing

I get a slight amount of spooge, I'm happy with that. Bike runs so nice and smooth.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kdx feels flat

Post by Keystone »

Also, before you mess with your float valve, KNOW what your doing. Talk to 5 people and they will tell you 5 different ways of doing it. Easy to screw up, hard to fix.
Marshy

Kdx feels flat

Post by Marshy »

The paw moves from the engine casing so kips seams ok just going to do a bit to carb now problem is some body has been in there before they look to have been scraping green staining away that is in the carb

I have spoken to the chap that owned the bike since 1999 he got it a year old he said he only used it few times as he had a accident on a r1 and it has been sat for ten years or more and he couldn't really help me much. As he said he never replaced anything on the bike and used it for only 20 hours max

I got it from holeshot motocross who ensured me it ran correctly and after buying they don't want to know and don't answer the phone
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If someone had to put in a 165 MJ when working on that thing, they may have been compensating for an airleak somewhere. Check behind the stator cover for any evidence of leakage, and base gasket, reed block, etc. as well. 165 is way too huge.