tire recommendations

Got questions? We got answers....
thatdude172

tire recommendations

Post by thatdude172 »

Hey guys I've been rebuilding a 1990 kdx200 basket case and i'm almost done the last thing needed are some new tires n tubes. I just finished rebuilding the front n rear wheels all excel components to factory spec. so my question is this What tire and tire size do you recommend I only ride trails am not going to race this bike. the conditions are mostly greasy mud and roots but i do enjoy playing in the rocks on occasion. I'm ok if the tire only lasts 1 season but i want it to perform the entire time. i am a intermediate rider in my mind while others may disagree.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

tire recommendations

Post by ohgood »

thatdude172 wrote:Hey guys I've been rebuilding a 1990 kdx200 basket case and i'm almost done the last thing needed are some new tires n tubes. I just finished rebuilding the front n rear wheels all excel components to factory spec. so my question is this What tire and tire size do you recommend I only ride trails am not going to race this bike. the conditions are mostly greasy mud and roots but i do enjoy playing in the rocks on occasion. I'm ok if the tire only lasts 1 season but i want it to perform the entire time. i am a intermediate rider in my mind while others may disagree.

if you can FIND THE DANG THING, get a Sedona 907. they're out of stock every time i try to order one. :(

until then, try a shinko sr241 on the rear, and a nice knobbie on the front. the cheap sedona knobbies that cycle gear runs specials on has been good for me... but i have 3 hare scrambles and countless weekends from the last 9 months on the shinko tire, and LOOVE it's traction over roots/rocks/stuff. it will load up with mud FAST, and you have to spin it up to clean it out. it doesn't roost, it envelopes (roots/rocks/shelves/pavement/etc) things.

oh, ya, it's a trials tire. it grabs everything. everywhere. except on decending, then it balls up pinestraw /leaves instead of punching through. people will gape with awe as you climb hills though, without spinning.

have i sung enough praises yet for trials tires on the rear ? good !
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: tire recommendations

Post by 6 Riders »

For the front I recommend the Kenda Washougal in 80/100-21 (stock size). For the rear I'd go with the trackmaster in 110/100-18 (one size bigger than stock). My son loves this set up in gnarly mud/roots & rocks. I run the Washougal on the rear as well as the front and it doesn't do as well as the Trackmaster does in the mud.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
CAL-kawi

tire recommendations

Post by CAL-kawi »

I'm interested to try the new Kenda hybrid tire. It should fare better in mud than a standard trials tire. For knobbys though, 110/100 is a nice size (unless its a Michelin) - tall enough to air down a little for a compliant ride and better traction, but still narrow enough for quick handling. I've got an AT81 on my 200 right now that has been good for me, a stand out not really, but good in every situation I've run it, and wearing well.
I'll second the Kenda washougal sticky front as a good everywhere tire.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I am a firm believer in trials tires out back. Any of the popular trails tires will do, especially if you're not doing any track / on-road riding. I like the longevity and versatility I get out of the MT43, but the dunlop d803 arguably has more grip.
C George
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by C George »

Michelin S-12 front tires are awesome, keeps that front wheel planted in the woods.
05 KDX-220R / 06 KDX-225R / Maxima 927 / Millenium Tech / Ron Black / PC , FMF / Many 220 engine mods / 40 + yrs. of riding dirt bikes 🤟🤟
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

I have a set of intermediate maxxas tires on my 04 kdx and love them.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

nL_Devv wrote:I have a set of intermediate maxxas tires on my 04 kdx and love them.
I also like the maxxis intermdediate tire. I tried a wider tire, and didn't like it as much as the stock tire size. It did not handle as well and no noticeable increase in grip.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

Although not my favorite in terms of traction but still do very well, and cheap, and last awhile.... the maxxis IT.

If you want to move dirt: IRC M5B

I REALLY like the feel of the AT81f and AT81rc together if I'm not going up anything super steep. Do be prepared to run 8-10 psi in the rear if you want the traction like the m5b, but it WILL do it.

I SOOO want to try a trials tire. Also, with my newly formed experience there are two types of tires. The kind with studs, or the kind without.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

6 Riders wrote:For the front I recommend the Kenda Washougal in 80/100-21 (stock size). For the rear I'd go with the trackmaster in 110/100-18 (one size bigger than stock). My son loves this set up in gnarly mud/roots & rocks. I run the Washougal on the rear as well as the front and it doesn't do as well as the Trackmaster does in the mud.
+1 on Kenda Washougal!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

spl383 wrote:
nL_Devv wrote:I have a set of intermediate maxxas tires on my 04 kdx and love them.
I also like the maxxis intermdediate tire. I tried a wider tire, and didn't like it as much as the stock tire size. It did not handle as well and no noticeable increase in grip.
yea i got both tires on sale for like $140 :D