Working brake light

Got questions? We got answers....
dualscotty

Working brake light

Post by dualscotty »

Hi guys. I want to make my tail light a working brake light. Is a battery needed? Different bulb needed? My bike is all stock. Thanks
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Working brake light

Post by 6 Riders »

A brake light switch and a two way socket is all that I needed.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
cornishwrecker220

Working brake light

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You'll find the x2 wires behind the R/H side panel attached to the wiring loom , you can use the simple pull switch & attach the spring to the rear brake lever as I have done or use a switch that attatches to the rear master cylinder banjo bolt , this one uses a 90' degree bend & works via brake fluid ( better )
When running a brake light you are best to use a LED bulb as a regular bulb will draw power when working & dim your headlight....LED will not do this & is better when riding at night!
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Working brake light

Post by pumpguy »

One problem with LED tail light bulbs is they can be directional, shining light on one direction only like a flashlight. So if going that route, research the bulb first. Also, be sure the bulb you choose will work OK on AC current which is what the stock KDX lighting coil puts out. Some LED bulbs don't like AC and will only work on DC, which usually requires a battery.

One scheme you might want to think about is to use a resistor in the tail light circuit. This will cause the tail light to be dimmer than normal. Then use the stop light switch to bypass the resistor, making the light brighter.

I can't recommend what type of resistor to use, but I understand Jeff Fredette can provide this along with more information.

Good luck.