Rippin_RobMX

Has anybody heard of this?

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

It is a device that delivers a squirt of fuel to a thumper when quickly opening the throttle...
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Has anybody heard of this?

Post by 6 Riders »

Accelerator pumps are for 4 strokes. It helps get the gas into the bike when cold.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

ok thanks!
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Oddly enough, way back in 1981, there was an aftermarket accelerator pump marketed for use on both 2 and 4 stroke motocrossers. Dirt Bike magazine tested it on a 2 stroke and liked it, so I tried one on my then 3-year old '78 Yamaha YZ125. It was a bit crude, but very impressive.

You know how a 125 will bog out if you whack the gas wide open at low rpm under load? Mine would just pull hard and clean from off idle -- in any gear -- to red line with the accelerator pump. Normally I had to do race starts in 1st gear; with the pump, I could do them in 2nd all day, and sometimes 3rd! With a 125!

Unfortunately, I was testing with a worn piston & rings ( I was a broke college student ) and during one of those 3rd gears starts, blew the rings into the pipe, wiping out the cylinder. I never got to try it in a race.

I still have that accelerator pump, and I'm gonna try it on my 220 when I get a chance............
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You can still get carbs for 2 strokes with a fitted "power jet" basically fuel is drawn from the float bowl via a tube & squirts gas into the rear of the carb which gets drawn through at hi RPM.... I owned a Yamaha RD 350LC with a set of these carbs fitted & the bike ran very well indeed .
Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Tioli »

I have never seen a accelerator pump for a two stroke not saying they don't exist. Back in the day I worked on/with plenty of power jets on two stroke carbs. As said they usually hang down just befor the slide. They are controlled by a tube from the bottom of the float bowl which can have a narrower or wider Ida to determine the amount of draw/vacuumed required to pull fuel out. Jets in line will determine how much can be drawn. If you have elotronics a solenoid will do the on off for you and jets how much. They are generally to tailor top end jetting for motors that are head flat out for lengths of time like road racing.
Accelerator pumps on the other hand are for low revs where a sudden wide open throttle gives the motor a big gulp of air and the normal vacume jetting can't deliver fuel in enough quantity so you get a bog. The power jet squirts in fuel to fill the hole and this means sudden kick instead of bog.
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Yep, this was an accelerator pump, not a power jet. No matter how fast I whacked the throttle open, the bike would not bog. Keep in mind this was a 125 motocrosser. It didn't increase top end power at all, just made the bike easier to ride. At higher rpm, throttle response was noticeably better. I'm still surprised accelerator pumps haven't been factory equipment on 2 strokes.

I'll try to put up a pic of this thing if I can find it.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Because the low end circuitry of newer 2-T carbs has gotten so good it's unneeded. Put a Mikuni VM on your KDX and you will lose this. It was probably sweet to just get a squirt of fuel, and not have to mess with jetting as critically.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

That's a good point; the carb on that 125 was a Mikuni.