220 clutch problem

Got questions? We got answers....
arctic_front

220 clutch problem

Post by arctic_front »

Hi all. I recently purchased a 2005 220 and on first ride notices there was something funny about the clutch. I used to own a 200 so I am very familiar with the KDX , but this was something very odd.
I had a clutch that was fully engaged OR disengaged only in the last 1/2" of lever (on the handlebar) travel. This makes it very difficult to slip the clutch in any meaningful way. Being a bit of a dumb-azz, I ordered up a brand new clutch including basket. I waited until I had the new parts and gaskets before opening up the side cover. New clutch parts, in hindsight, was a waste of money as the existing clutch was like new. After careful installation (using proper service manual and tools) I ended up with the exact same symptoms.

I have no idea what to try next. I have tripple-checked cable adjustment, lever free play, and the angle the clutch shaft sits in relation to the side cover. The only think I have yet to try is the shim on the rod that is actuated by the shaft that goes inside the clutch itself. Has anybody else encountered this issue, and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Today I am going to try a new lever, followed by a change in the shims. Book says either zero shims, or one, or two I have one on there now.

During replacement of the clutch I followed the service manual to the letter, but there is a chance I may have made a mistake, but the clutch actuation and 'feel' stayed the same as before.

Any and all advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
cornishwrecker220

220 clutch problem

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Check that the push collar that sits in the centre of the clutch basket is in the correct way & not worn, also check that the final clutch plate is installed correctly too & not with the others...I would also inspect that the actuator arm on the clutch cover isn't worn .
arctic_front

Re: 220 clutch problem

Post by arctic_front »

What do you mean: "also check that the final clutch plate is installed correctly too & not with the others" ?
cornishwrecker220

220 clutch problem

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

On the clutch basket you have the "fingers" ...

When you install your new clutch plates & friction plates the "tabs" on the plates locate into the basket .

On most Kawasaki clutches ( inc kdx ) the final clutch plate must be installed onto the clutch basket on the top of the clutch finger ( look & you will see a cut out just big enough for the clutch plate tab ) take note that the x2 steel rings need to be installed last too & with the final clutch plate in the correct order....1 ring is concave the other not ....it all should be explained in your workshop manual ..
arctic_front

Post by arctic_front »

I thank you for your input. I will go ahead and remove the clutch assembly and go through the procedure again more carefully. I watch a KDX rider member's you tube video on the clutch assembly and I think I know where I may have gone wrong. Wish me luck
ChrisKDXE

220 clutch problem

Post by ChrisKDXE »

cornishwrecker220 wrote: take note that the x2 steel rings need to be installed last too & with the final clutch plate in the correct order....1 ring is concave the other not ....it all should be explained in your workshop manual ..
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to the order of the plates?
I have 2 thin washers, to my understanding they go together last.
The concave steel plate has me confused, where does this belong?
Thanks
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

220 clutch problem

Post by Tedh98 »

ChrisKDXE wrote:Could someone please point me in the right direction as to the order of the plates?
Do you have the service manual?
ChrisKDXE

Post by ChrisKDXE »

Yes, also referring to this http://www.cmsnl.com/kawasaki-kdx200-e3 ... ml#results

Parts 92022A and 92022C are seated like such (I
How are plates 13089 and 13089A Different?
shoe757
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by shoe757 »

The last plate doesn't exactly NEED to be in the finger tips to still work.
02 Kdx220
97 Kdx200/220
04 Kx250/500
01 Kx250
01 Kx100
13 Klx140
12 Teryx4
11 kfx450r
05 Vulcan 2000
04 636
93 Cbr900rr 8.37 ET
96 Rm125
ChrisKDXE

Post by ChrisKDXE »

Okay, I am just confused over the steel plate order as the service manual doesn't outline which plates are which. A clear explanation of the plate order and where the concave steel plate goes would be much appreciated :) Cheers for the help!