Chain Size.

Got questions? We got answers....
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Chain Size.

Post by jafo »

What stock size chain on KDX's. Do they vary from year to year? I have a 2003 KDX.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

520/108 link, I THINK they are the same on most.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Ok, next question. 520 stands for the size of the link right? and the number 108 is the number of links in the chain?

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yep....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

jafo, do you have the owner's manual or the service manual?? Since you are really just wanting to know about YOUR bike, just look in YOUR manual. :grin:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If you are thinking about increasing your sprocket size beond a 48 tooth, then you should purchase a 110 link chain.

BTW... Rockymountainmc.com has the Primary Drive Gold X-ring chains for around $55, I just bought one and they are nice.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:If you are thinking about increasing your sprocket size beond a 48 tooth, then you should purchase a 110 link chain.

BTW... Rockymountainmc.com has the Primary Drive Gold X-ring chains for around $55, I just bought one and they are nice.
Ah! Thats something I was'nt thinking of. Thanks. I just have to decide what I'm going to do as far as the drive ratio on thia bike. I'd like to change it and see what it does to the bike.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: size of the link

There is a lot to that....the 'size' of the link means what exactly?

It's the pitch that determines the other 'sizes' of a chain. In the case of a 520 chain, the pitch is 5/8's of an inch. The pitch is the distance between the pins.

Roller diameter and width are measurements that are derived from the pitch of the chain.

Aw shucks...let google do the walking.....

Note:
http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm

BTW...I haven't used one, but legend has it that a 48T rear sprocket is fine with the oem length of 108links. A 50T does require the longer (110L) chain.

Old song...but you can 'test' a lower ratio (higher number) by putting a 12T CSS on in place of the OEM 13T CSS. If you like it, and are of the opinion that a 12T CSS is terrible/awful/bad..then put the 13 back on and get a larger rear sprocket. No, there is not an exact match number-wise...but close enough.

..you can do the math.... :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

canyncarvr wrote: legend has it that a 48T rear sprocket is fine with the oem length of 108links. A 50T does require the longer (110L) chain.

Weeeellllllll smarty pants what does a 49T require then ?? And don't say 109. :wink:

Awww wait, you said I gotta do the maths... DOH !!! :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

109! Good guess!!

You are welcome.

'Do the math...' refers to final drive ratios..not chain lengths btw.
Note to the casual reader:
The above chain length is completely bogus. You knew that, right?

Consider the source

NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:109! Note to the casual reader:
The above chain length is completely bogus. You knew that, right?
WHAT?! I just won one on ebay!

:rolleyes:

You know, it is kind of fun to say the-word-that-is-banned-on-that-other-site here! ebay! eBay! EBay!! Whoo-...EBAY!!!
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

For the wondering....

You can order chain by a specific length..and most chains you buy will have a length specification. That link number will always be even (ex: 108links). You will never find an odd number of links listed as a length.

Because the two ends (considering we are talking about a chain that HAS ends...some don't!) are joined together by the master link..both ends of the chain are the same 'gender' (if you will).

If 108 links is too short...and 110 links is too long...you will have to have KayD find you a chain that fits! :wink:

Consider the source

KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Has anyone ever seen a motorcycle chain with a half link? I saw at least one while BMX racing, but I don't think I have never seen one mentioned for motorcycles.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Great info CC. Thanks.

Jon.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just buy the 110 and there are no suprises and they are the same price... well at least the primary Drive chain was...

If you need to remove a link, grind the pins flush with the link plate and tap out... instant 108! Easy Squeezy! :supz:

One other thing....

Buy 2 Master links when you buy a new chain... one to put the chain together and one spare to stuff in your pack....It could save your weekend so it's worth the extra few bucks.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re: spare master link

Absolutely!! Believe it or not, I've often found that NO local dealer/shop/bike parts place has them available. If you need one of them...well, you NEED one.

Yep...I carry one with me.

I didn't intend the implication that an odd numbered link chain is impossible. As Jason mentions, certainly that's no mystery. BUT, that's not going to do you any good if you have a common master link that you're using to put the two ends together.

A btw..you can use your chain breaker as an install tool when putting the chain together. Some o-ring (x-ring..whatever) master links can be a bit of a pain to put together correctly. The o-rings need to be squeezed to fit the side plate..but you don't want to damage them by squeezing them too much.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I bought a TUSK Chain Press for $9.99 from RM

It's worth it to not kick my bike over and stomp on it!

*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I checked those out too when I was making my list. Gotta have one of those out in the field for sure. a hundred extra masterlinks won't do you any good unless you have that little tool. :wink:
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Well I bought a brand new Sun Star 49-T rear sprocket off E-bay for like $12! Then i went ahead and bought my X-ring chain, extra master links, front Sproket 12-T and chain tool from R.M. today. So we'll see how this combo works out this spring. I figure if I like the 49 tooth rear sprocket, I'll get me one of those Tri-Metal sprockets later on.

Jon.
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

Think I should try the stock 13-T front sproket with the new 49-T rear, first? Then try the 12-T front and the 49-T rear, second?

Jon.