Oil level and what appears in the sight window

Got questions? We got answers....
Thryago

Post by Thryago »

Just purchased a used 2004 220r. Noted the oil level was low in the sight glass. I measured the drained oil and only drained 350cc, user manual calls for 650ml! So my first thought was the PO had the incorrect amount. When I drained the oil, I will add that it was not on the kickstand, but on a bike stand, level and rear wheel off the ground. I let the oil completely drain. I was more than a little surprised when I could only re-fill 300ml of oil in the crankcase, while the bike remained on the stand, to bring the level between the lower and upper mark on the sight glass. Far short of the recommended 650ml. I started the bike, engaged several gear shifts, shut it off, waited several minutes and the oil came right back up between the lower and upper marks. What gives?? My first thought is that I could not have drained all of the oil from the bike. Any thoughts. What am I missing?
PS service manual and supplement ordered.
Thanks so much in advance for any help on this topic.
Adamnb1

Post by Adamnb1 »

when I drain the oil, I usually have it completely upright (little brick under the kickstand) until it stops draining. Then I lean it down (remove brick) and I get a bit more. I go back and fourth once more and until no more comes out. I then put about .8L of oil back in and it brings it to the very top of the sight glass when the bike is upright.
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Re: Oil level and what appears in the sight window

Post by Slick_Nick »

Most of us run a full 1L in the crankcase. You'll find after a ride it will burp out a little of that extra but usually holds right around the 900ML mark. Unlike an engine, you won't do any damage by overfilling it. The excess will just come out the breather, don't be shy about using a full 1L
'00 KDX 220R
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Slick_Nick wrote:Most of us run a full 1L in the crankcase. You'll find after a ride it will burp out a little of that extra but usually holds right around the 900ML mark. Unlike an engine, you won't do any damage by overfilling it. The excess will just come out the breather, don't be shy about using a full 1L
+1 it also helps quite some of the drivetrain noise a little better. As Nick stated, the extra doesn't hurt anything.
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

My 04 kdx 200 seems to be using oil because every couple rides I have to add oil any idea what's wrong?
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

nL_Devv wrote:My 04 kdx 200 seems to be using oil because every couple rides I have to add oil any idea what's wrong?
make sure the vent line isn't leaking, and the clutch gasket is good, along with the drain plug ... a lot easier to fix those than it is to split cases!

if it's the crank seal, get ready for a weekend of working on it
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Slick_Nick wrote:Most of us run a full 1L in the crankcase. You'll find after a ride it will burp out a little of that extra but usually holds right around the 900ML mark. Unlike an engine, you won't do any damage by overfilling it. The excess will just come out the breather, don't be shy about using a full 1L
Where exactly is the breather located?
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

Giant hose coming out of the top of the case.
'00 KDX 220R
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

ohgood wrote:
nL_Devv wrote:My 04 kdx 200 seems to be using oil because every couple rides I have to add oil any idea what's wrong?
make sure the vent line isn't leaking, and the clutch gasket is good, along with the drain plug ... a lot easier to fix those than it is to split cases!

if it's the crank seal, get ready for a weekend of working on it
Ok where is the vent line? Any pictures?
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Adamnb1 wrote:when I drain the oil, I usually have it completely upright (little brick under the kickstand) until it stops draining. Then I lean it down (remove brick) and I get a bit more. I go back and fourth once more and until no more comes out. I then put about .8L of oil back in and it brings it to the very top of the sight glass when the bike is upright.
That is exactly What I do when I change the oil. If the bike isn't level then some oil will be stuck on one side of the transmission until you level the bike
Slick_Nick
Supporting Member

Post by Slick_Nick »

You can't miss the vent line. Bend down and look under the carb.
'00 KDX 220R
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Slick_Nick wrote:You can't miss the vent line. Bend down and look under the carb.
Ok thanks I wasn't home and never heard of it so I'm sure if I was home I could of found it..
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Thryago wrote:Just purchased a used 2004 220r. Noted the oil level was low in the sight glass. I measured the drained oil and only drained 350cc, user manual calls for 650ml! So my first thought was the PO had the incorrect amount. When I drained the oil, I will add that it was not on the kickstand, but on a bike stand, level and rear wheel off the ground. I let the oil completely drain. I was more than a little surprised when I could only re-fill 300ml of oil in the crankcase, while the bike remained on the stand, to bring the level between the lower and upper mark on the sight glass. Far short of the recommended 650ml. I started the bike, engaged several gear shifts, shut it off, waited several minutes and the oil came right back up between the lower and upper marks. What gives?? My first thought is that I could not have drained all of the oil from the bike. Any thoughts. What am I missing?
PS service manual and supplement ordered.
Thanks so much in advance for any help on this topic.
When you are adding oil wait for it to spread out inside the tanny then read the oil gauge. You are pouring oil in the transmission right next to the gauge and it takes a couple seconds to make it to the other side and level out.
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Same goes for when you are riding it And want to check the oil, wait several minutes for the oil to settle.