What bar mount to get

Got questions? We got answers....
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What bar mount to get

Post by travisvt »

Hi I recently bent my bars and am planning to upgrade to the pro taper 1 1/8" bars. I am not sure wether I should get the universal rubber mount or the universal solid mount? I
think I like the idea of the solid mount since it completely replaces my stock mount but am unsure if this will work. I attached a photo below of the two I am looking at, any advice will be appreciated.

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

What bar mount to get

Post by kawagumby »

The solid mount should work fine, it rests inside your existing bottom mount. It has slots which will allow for slightly different bolt distances. One thing I like about that solid mount is that it will raise the bars about 7/16", which many people, including myself, prefer ergo-wise.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
bushx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

What bar mount to get

Post by bushx »

I'm ordering the solid mount in the next day or so to replace a set of foot tall (ok, 4") risers that came on my KdX. I'll let you know how they work out when I get them.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: What bar mount to get

Post by 6 Riders »

The solid mounts work great. I've had them on my 93 for a couple years, they are also the only option (there are other brands that make these as well) for going with Oversized bars on pre 95 KDXs. The rubber mount adapters will work with the H bikes.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Thryago

What bar mount to get

Post by Thryago »

To that end, the bike I recently purchased has 1 1/8" EVO Pro Taper bars and bar mounts with recessed allen bolts, unlike the stock bar mount bolts. It makes for a rather odd attachment for the stock odometer mount, for which the PO has one of the four allen bolts through the OD mount and the other bolt hole for the mount left, well...unbolted. The real issue in my mind is the bite that the bolt used to hold the OD mount, and the bar mount. It sits on top of the OD mount and does not therefore seat within the recess of the bar mount, much like the other three allen bolts on the bar mount. Seems a little suspect to me as for the equal torque on the bar mount. So question is, any 1 1/8" bar mounts that do not have the recess bolt mounts, in order to accommodate a bar mount and the OD mount too?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
Rippin_RobMX

What bar mount to get

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

travisvt wrote:Hi I recently bent my bars and am planning to upgrade to the pro taper 1 1/8" bars. I am not sure wether I should get the universal rubber mount or the universal solid mount? I
think I like the idea of the solid mount since it completely replaces my stock mount but am unsure if this will work. I attached a photo below of the two I am looking at, any advice will be appreciated.
I used these to mount my pro taper 1 1/8 bars. If you use these then you will have to re drill the hole on the trip meter if you want to use it.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13 ... -mount-kit
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

What bar mount to get

Post by newbbewb »

Thryago wrote:To that end, the bike I recently purchased has 1 1/8" EVO Pro Taper bars and bar mounts with recessed allen bolts, unlike the stock bar mount bolts. It makes for a rather odd attachment for the stock odometer mount, for which the PO has one of the four allen bolts through the OD mount and the other bolt hole for the mount left, well...unbolted. The real issue in my mind is the bite that the bolt used to hold the OD mount, and the bar mount. It sits on top of the OD mount and does not therefore seat within the recess of the bar mount, much like the other three allen bolts on the bar mount. Seems a little suspect to me as for the equal torque on the bar mount. So question is, any 1 1/8" bar mounts that do not have the recess bolt mounts, in order to accommodate a bar mount and the OD mount too?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

so maybe I missed it, but what year KDX do you have?

running with 3 out of 4 bolts in the bar clamp is well...you can do it, but really? I like my bars to not move. you won't have equal clamping force. If you have rubber in the triples where the bars mount, good luck on keeping those straight. an easy digger could snap both off. that would suck.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

SO, to be clear, the OP can not use the rubber mounted bar mounts, his bike is an E series and he MUST use the "solid mount" adapters no matter what brand.

To the OP, I saw that Motosport.com has these [urlhttp://www.motosport.com/turner-performance-pr ... d-118-bars][/url] on sale for $40. Just make sure you order the "solid" mounts and not the rubber mounts.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Oh I just assumed he had a h series kdx. Would be helpful if he had listed the type of bike he had with his question.
Thryago

Post by Thryago »

The bike is a 2004 kdx220r. Running all 4 bolts. Just one of the four is not seated in the recess of the bar mount. Instead it is tightened to one of the two holes on the odometer mount.
Rippin_RobMX

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

Thryago wrote:The bike is a 2004 kdx220r. Running all 4 bolts. Just one of the four is not seated in the recess of the bar mount. Instead it is tightened to one of the two holes on the odometer mount.
That's how mine is I haven't had a single issue with it and I re drilled the holes to use both screws with the odometer mount.