Need some quick help regarding slipping kickstarter gear

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Need some quick help regarding slipping kickstarter gear

Post by Bitteeinit »

My kickstarter started slipping quite a bit towards the end of my last ride. It was particularly long (~10-11 hours) before I could change the oil. In hindsight I had one opportunity which I should have taken around the 8 hour mark but didn't. Anyways, the kickstarter started slipping increasingly until it eventually wouldn't grab AT ALL. It's worth noting that the bike got stuck in deep muddy water and I had to take the plug out and kick the water out. For sure my lower-end got water contamination during this “event”. Anyways, on my way back it started catching maybe once every 6-8 kicks. By the time I changed the oil and was close to home, the bike would catch maybe once every 15-20 kicks and eventually wouldn't catch at all despite new oil.

Removed the cover and the gears do appear to have a bit of wear, but it's not like they're completely rounded off or anything. Doesn't seem significant enough that the kick mechanism wouldn't catch. I searched around on the forum and it seems that oil/spring play a large part to this problem. I usually put a liter of 20W50 oil in and it works fine. It has slipped a few odd times in the past, but never more than once in like 100 kicks (probably when I was due for an oil change). Perhaps the oil getting really dirty played a large part? A combination of a long ride and contaminated lower end? Still, I wonder why it wouldn't catch once I'd changed the oil...

So.. Do these gears look busted? There is a bit of wear, but it doesn't look like the gears are stripped. It actually looks way worst in the pictures below than in person as the worn bits are really shiny, but when one puts them together, it doesn't look like it could “miss” unless the spring was weak. What would cause the wear? Bad kicking technique? Prolonged water contamination/dirty oil? What are my options? Replacing the spring? Changing the oil again and hoping for the best?
Pardon the low focus quality... Pics taken with my phone:
Case looks clean:

The local mechanics say they could make new notches in the mechanism (they've done it on a CR before), but that seems a bit drastic for now... However, if the gears are truly busted, then it might be a short-term solution (as I'm assuming those gears are hard to come by now for an E model). I have a strong feeling the spring might be the culprit. Or perhaps the contaminated lower end busted the gears? Is it possible for the spring to fall out of place while the cases are closed?

Bike is at the shop and I told them I'd decide what to do within two days. I figured KDXRider would give me some good leads.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Need some quick help regarding slipping kickstarter gear

Post by Julien D »

Most of that wear appears to be on the back (sloped) side of the teeth, so it shouldn't prevent the straight sides from engaging. Sometimes replacing the spring which presses the two gears together is all that's needed, and a thinner oil (10w-30/40 or ATF-F) will almost certainly help with that issue.
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Most likely culprit is the ratchet spring (p/n SPRING,RATCHET 92081-122). Possibly a slightly lighter weight oil, but more likely the spring. You can always have the two gear set dogs undercut to help engagement as well..Image
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks guys! I thought it was actually the kickstarter spring (92081-1926), but I hadn't even noticed the ratchet spring (92081-122) in the diagram before. Seems like it fits several models, this would be the one correct?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-NOS-NE ... r#shpCntId
PartZilla has the cheapest one though.

Sorry. Great info. I guess for now I'll tell them to reassemble, put fresh oil in and I'll try it again. It'll take about three weeks for the spring to get here anyways. Hopefully it'll be good enough for a bit of riding, though last time it felt like absolutely nothing was engaging. Might change after being cleaned up and some fresh oil. I usually put in 15W50. Should I switch? Does ATF oil NEED to be type F, or can it be any ATF oil? Might try ATF while waiting for the part.

Once more, many thanks.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

I would try changing the oil. My kick would do the same thing yours is doing using anything other than type F or honda 80-85. My kick now engages EVERY time. It is a well documented issue with the KDX.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

Thanks. I've never had a problem with 20W50 before, so I went ahead and ordered that spring. It's only 12$ shipped so can't hurt. Once it gets here I'll swap the spring and try out different oils. I'll have a look out for ATF F and see if I can find some (and what the cost is).