KDX 220 race bike build

Got questions? We got answers....
wolfracing38

KDX 220 race bike build

Post by wolfracing38 »

Recently bought a 97 kdx220r as a practice/backup race bike. Its in great shape and has a full pro circut exhaust and KN airfilter. Love the bike in the woods but in more open stuff or on moto tracks it just isnt agressive enough and doesnt handle the way id like it too. Any suggestions on how to improve the handling and performance?
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: KDX 220 race bike build

Post by KDXGarage »

Stay in the woods? :grin:

It is not going to be that great where it was not intended to be used.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

click on my signature link and go to the page for motocross mods for power and handling.
it talks mostly about the 200 but lowering the rear and raising the front still applies in your case since all these KDX have too steep a steering angle for MX.
You may have to raise the exhaust and transfer ports for better top end power.
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

Jason wrote:Stay in the woods? :grin:

It is not going to be that great where it was not intended to be used.
+1 Though it shares some lineage from the MX line, that was like 25 years ago. Two best things you can do are spring it properly and jet it properly. At that point you will be able to keep up with anything out there given comparable pilots.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Suspension suspension suspension. I don't agree with slacking the fork angle though. Stability was never a problem with any of my KDX's, where all the 125 mx bikes I raced over the years would want to get a little headshake at speed. The KDX's are 26.5 deg, popular KX125 chassis for hybrids are 26-27 deg I believe.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Put the motor in a KX125 frame and you have the best of both worlds.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
wolfracing38

KDX 220 race bike build

Post by wolfracing38 »

Thanks for all of the replies! I have gone through the entire carb and it is jetted correctly for the exhaust and filter. Also re-set the float level.Was thinkin of getting thinner gaskets, an aftermarket ignition system, and boysen reeds. Does anyone have these parts and have a review on them? As far as suspension goes i got the rear shock about where i want it and am considering doing a fork swap with a kx125.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

If you're running mx with it, a fork swap is an excellent idea. I'll go with the other comments though. the KDX is an awesome machine on the trails, not so much on an MX track.
wolfracing38

Post by wolfracing38 »

I race harescrambles, so i love it in the woods but i also have too use it on moto tracks on at least part of the course. i just want to make it transition form trail to track better, not make it into an mx bike.
cornishwrecker220

KDX 220 race bike build

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

You can gain some good HP from the 220 with a port, head & carb mods....altering the timing will also give you a better ignition curve which will help at the top end of the Rev range...
I had the above mods , & a few other things done to my 220 which brought the Power to just shy of 40hp with a good spread of power from down low right through to the top end of the Rev range.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

cornishwrecker220 wrote:You can gain some good HP from the 220 with a port, head & carb mods....altering the timing will also give you a better ignition curve which will help at the top end of the Rev range...
I had the above mods , & a few other things done to my 220 which brought the Power to just shy of 40hp with a good spread of power from down low right through to the top end of the Rev range.
Second that. My 03 220 was ported, head modded, carb bored, FMF rev pipe and Turbinecore 2. Excellent engine with WAY more power and revs than stock, but still smooth and linear.

Up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, but the extra revs gained 9 mph top speed (gps, dual sported bike).
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I would check the suspension out.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Julien D wrote:If you're running mx with it, a fork swap is an excellent idea.
Agree with this 100%. I put '02 KX125 forks on my '97 220 and they're worlds better.

And ditch the K&N. :naughty:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Suspension before power......Also agree that a K&N is a BAD (very, very bad) idea.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
wolfracing38

Post by wolfracing38 »

6 Riders wrote:Suspension before power......Also agree that a K&N is a BAD (very, very bad) idea.
I am looking at new forks but the rear shock is good enough for now. Disagree though because the kdx is seriously lacking power, even with all the mods money can buy, they still only turn out 40hp. Whats wrong with the K&N? I found that on all of my race bikes they make a noticeable difference in power with some adjustment to the air screw.
wolfracing38

Post by wolfracing38 »

Here's an update as far as what I'm doing. Headlight and taillight are removed, new oversized radiators, pipe guard, tag x5 bars and new grips, oversized ims pegs, coolant tank has been removed to save weight, and new rotors.