Battery ideas for a dual sport

Got questions? We got answers....
rbates9
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by rbates9 »

I have been looking for the right battery to put on to get a DC system working. I don't like the idea of a battery in the air box. So i started thinking about a pair of 7.2volt rc car batteries wired in series to get 12 volts (yes i know that it would be 14.4 volts).
Can anyone think of why this wouldn't work?

They are cheap and could be mounted anywhere, they don't even need to be near each other.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Battery ideas for a dual sport

Post by doctord23 »

Why not.
The Baja Designs kit on my KLX uses a series of what look to be rechargeable AA batteries.
They are enough to dimly light the lights until it's started.
I think the only reason you need anything more is if you have electric start.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

10 AA Ni-cads will work perfect. That is how my BD kit is. Light works well with engine off ,but if you forget to shut it off will only last about 15 min's (ask me how I know :doh: )

Last edited by s10gto on 06:30 am May 30 2015, edited 1 time in total.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Battery ideas for a dual sport

Post by newbbewb »

I have two Ni-MH 3700mah(I think, maybe 5000mah), batteries wired in series. I run a HID trail tech headlight and a horn. I am also using a trail tech adjustable reg/req with delay timer so headlight runs on battery for 20 seconds after the bike is killed. Still factory stator. Everything works great after 30 or so rides

Important note and something I learned. My brand new batteries after charged put out 15.2v top charge. that was too much voltage for the reg/req to see, therefore would not light off the DC side of things. I actually had to discharge my battery a bit to 14.8 before everything worked. not sure if it's a trailtech thing or common to all reg/rec units.

Here's what I have

Heres a pic of my ghetto but functional setup. Of note, I was warned by a couple of riding buddies that putting batteries in the airbox can mess with the airflow to the carb, making it run like poop. I was so worried about it I even ran a plug chop. no change for me with the batteries in this position.

yes, they're in the airbox, but where else are you going to put them?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

why not use the Tusk battery pack? I did, it's small (about the size of a pack of cards) will power led lights forever. Just like the poster above, I use the trailtech rectifier regulator and it works great. The headlight auto shutoff can be adjusted for duration, I run mine for about 30 seconds. Great product.

Here's the inexpensive Tusk battery pack:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/38 ... gQodiWkAIQ
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.