Frame straightening

Got questions? We got answers....
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Frame straightening

Post by skipro3 »

I just got back from going riding with my 23 year old son. His first time ever piloting a motorcycle of any kind. He's a big kid, 6'4" 230lbs. After 5 miles, his butt is kicked!!! He fell so often that I think he should be checked for inner ear balance problems. Anyway, he looped the bike several times but failed to release the throttle. This resulted in the rear frame tubes supporting the rear fender plowing the earth as if he were Amish, trying to furrow the back 40. Now the rear fender frame mounts are totally bent up. They aren't broken, but I'm sure that if I just pounded them back to origonal position they would snap. Anyone have any suggestions on how to bend these two tubes back into place so I can stick another fender on?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

That sucks. Pictures would help us to make better suggestions. Unfortunately the sub frame on the KDX is welded to the main frame. Only one side can be removed. There are only a couple of options.

1. Cut the subframe off and attempt to re-shape off the bike. Then weld it back on. :shock:

2. Use force and bend or hammer it into submission. If it breaks...see number 1. :wink:

3. Sell the bike on Ebay as "Vet ridden, well maintained, only 3 hours on bike, never crashed..." :zip:

4. We have a long bar (4') with two curved "hooks" on one end that hooks to the subframe. This is used to straiten tweaked sub frames...but ussually the MX guys tweak them left or right. I'm not sure if you can use this method for the damage you are describing.

Good luck.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Heat and a BFH! Have we learned nothing from Medieval Times? :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I just used a BIG bar. You can sorta put one end under the front cross brace and over the brace right at the back. Then you just lever away to bend it straight. If that makes any sense. It took my father and my weight to get it back to normal. It makes it hard because the back suspension compresses as you try to bend the subframe down... Good luck and if I haven't been clear enough, let me know. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

dang! Thats a hell of a wreck if they're that bent! Is he still alive?

I bent mine alittle one time on a loop out. I just took a shoty hammer and knocked it close to where it was before. But mine was'nt bent to bad. I'm with Quailchaser. I'd cut the bent parts off and reshape them off the bike. Then weld'm back on. If they're bent as bad as you described, you might need to do a replacement cause you may never get the correct bend back. P.S. Need some pics to look at it to be sure on the above for mentioned. :wink:
The tubing for the back frame does'nt bend well after it's been bent in one direction and then try to bend it in the opposite direction, might snap off in pieces unless you heat it but then it might weak'n the metal.

Oh yeh, what bike was it? Your KDX or the KX?

Jon.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. That is good that you let someone new ride.

Ask wsjkawasaki about all that. :oops: He has done the frame straightening twice.

Get a long steel pipe. Try not to use the other frame tubes as a fulcrum. If it is bent far enough down the frame to affect it, unbolt the subpipe on the top and bend it so that it mounts properly to the subpipe. My main suggestion after seeing it done is to NOT use the other parts of the frame as best you can.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I used the cross braces on the subframe as a fulcrum and it didn't damage anything. I had no other option as it's too hard to bend without levering a bar off something.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Easy, slide a pipe in the end and lever away. Probably better with the bike up on a work stand due to the suspension compressing.

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Love the tag on ya butt plug. Hehehehehe...

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

Damn Ski! Thats pretty munched.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I tried sliding a pipe over the end. Look again; it's now collapsed. I stopped before it completely flattened. I think I'll heat with a torch first, then apply the lever again.
Jerry

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

There's a chick in my office that could sit on that thing and have it back in shape in no time. We could send her, but air freight is mighty expensive.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mine is tweaked a bit...nothing at all like yours. I put a long bar on it, gave it the 'ol HOO-RAH!

It went nowhere.

I think your chances of getting it back inline are zip without heat.

You'll have to take some stuff off..airbox and such.

Think the pipe side is OK? It's gotta be tweaked SOME, considering what happened to the other side.

Ha! Bet he (and you, too!) wishes he had a clutch, 'eh? What a mess.

Only five miles? :shock:

And your bike is about as nilla as a bean!! VERY friendly until you lean on it.

Uh.....did he have a good time? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Heat and a BFH! Have we learned nothing from Medieval Times? :roll:
Worked for me :supz:

Hey Trev. I think that was your ride. :shock:

Ski-OUCH, OUCHHHHHHHH
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i would really think about buying a new frame off ebay, you can get one for like $100 including shipping. That frame is mashed. I really hope you can get it fixed. Best of luck to you.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Maybe you could rig a bar through your axle and attach a ratchet type strap, add a little heat as you ratchet it down and back into shape. I actually slid a solid bar inside the hole then slide a larger ID pipe over the solid bar. Just some ideas... Good luck... :mrgreen:

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote: 1. Cut the subframe off and attempt to re-shape off the bike. Then weld it back on. :shock:

2. Sell the bike on Ebay as "Vet ridden, well maintained, only 3 hours on bike, never crashed...USE OLD PHOTO's FOR LISTING" :zip:
Down to two options. :roll: Actually, the kid doesn't have such a bad idea. If you can find a frame for cheap on that auction site....Maybe even find one that's not bent. :cool: Then cut off the bent one and cut off the good one. Weld good one on bike. Or swap frames and get re-registered as a rebuild with the new frame number. :hmm:

The other option would be the heat and BFH. If it indeed started to collapse...once it's back to shape, get a piece of the next size up tubing. Split it and weld it over the "collapsed" section for added support. It's always going to be weaker in that spot unless you reinforce it somehow.

Good luck!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Okay then. Sounds like y'all got it figured out. We'll start uncrating the chick tomorrow..
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

quailchaser, this is not DRN, so feel free to say eBay, ebay, e-bay, etc. :grin:

wsjkawasaki didn't heat his up, and it moved back into place without breaking. It already moved once without heat, so it may yet move again.

If you are worried about it being weak, put a section over it like a fork seal driver, as that is how the old Kawasaki info was on welding frame cracks.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128