Frame straightening

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote:>|<>QBB<
quailchaser wrote: 1. Cut the subframe off and attempt to re-shape off the bike. Then weld it back on. :shock:

2. Sell the bike on Ebay as "Vet ridden, well maintained, only 3 hours on bike, never crashed...USE OLD PHOTO's FOR LISTING" :zip:
Down to two options. :roll: Actually, the kid doesn't have such a bad idea. If you can find a frame for cheap on that auction site....Maybe even find one that's not bent. :cool: Robb

i hope you aint referin to me.... ha a kid.... im 16!!!! :cool:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

THAT'S a kid... at least until your 32!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Replace the frame??? It is just a bent subframe guys.

I would pull the plastic look it over well and start making some adjustments with the aid of some heat . Looks like you my need to pull the air box. Touch the heated areas up with some paint after it has been tweaked back into position. If a sub-frame rail has been collapsed then a section of steel can be inserted into rail or a coupler piece of round tubing can be welded to fasten the sub-frame back to close to the original strength. I don't think your looking at more than an hour of work to get it back into position and reinforced.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 'find a frame' idea was to cut ITS subframe off...replace THAT part. At least I think that's on page one of this..........

If you're a welder, fixing it I'm sure would be a snap.

I know Ski has an acetylene torch anyway...

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

The suggestions are ALL great!!!

I'll start with (what is, for me,) the easiest and work my way up. Remove plastics and touch with heat and a big pipe. If that doesn't work, I may just chop off the arm on that part of the subframe and leave it as that. My KX is that way: nothing past the rear of the seat. Seems the KDX has those arms to support the tool kit on the fender; I don't see why it's there anyway except on the one side for the S/A mount.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

thats gonna be a strange looking kdx!!!! :razz:
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I don't think it would look any stranger than any KX style bike. Here's a photo of a subframe without the fender support like my KX has:
Notice there's nothing from the rear seat mounts on back.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

I think the rear cross section is also there to help compensate for the leverage one would get from grabbing and pullling on the rear part of the KDX frame. Those grab rails are on out there compared to KX length.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

well if you really want a frame and you cant fix the one you have you could probably get this one for like$150-$175 if you deal with the guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki ... 4397QQrdZ1
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250