kdx 250 ignition switch

Got questions? We got answers....
makis-rr

kdx 250 ignition switch

Post by makis-rr »

hello
in my kdx 250sr the ignition switch was broken so i have to cancel it.
does anyone know how exactly have to cross the switch's wiring to keep it open all time?
thanks
CharlieB

Re: kdx 250 ignition switch

Post by CharlieB »

I have my wiring loom off my bike at the moment, but don't have a manual so all this is only a guess.
My loom has 4 wires coming from the keyed ignition switch, brown (power), white (regulator/rectifier???), black/yellow (earth) black/white (coil/cdi???). My guess would be that when switched off the black/yellow and black/white are connected earthing the system and stopping the spark, but while the key is turned on the brown and white are connected to let power through.
The kill switch on the handlebars works by earthing the black/white to the coil via a black/yellow wire so this makes sense to me.

Again this is only a guess as it seems impossible to find a manual for these bikes.

*edit* - just found my multimeter and the above should work. When switched ON there in continuity between Yellow and Brown and none between B/Y and B/W. Switched off no continuity between Yellow and Brown but continuity between B/Y and B/W.
makis-rr

Post by makis-rr »

thanks a lot for your answer.
it is exactly the way you told me but still i dont have electricity on my spark plug (lights works normally when i kick the kickstarter).
my switch have and another one cable grey colour that is connected with the cdi and through a ressistance all other four cables that you have refered above.
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Sorry i just realised i was mixing my colours up. So far you should have the white and brown connected together and the black with stripes not connected together. That should give you spark, if not I would try the brown and grey together with all others disconnected. We know the black with stripes will kill the spark. You only have a couple of other combo's it could be, if that doesnt work - Brown and white, brown and grey, grey and white, that is also the order I would try the combos in. Also try at your own risk, I am by no means an auto elec, and am only guessing based an a couple of moto wiring diagrams I have had to use in the past. Good Luck, hopefully you will be riding soon again.
makis-rr

Post by makis-rr »

thanks a lot for your help
i apreciate it honestly
i have connected grey-brown-white and completely disconnected whiteblack and whiteyellow.
could you try this combination and tell me if you have a spark?
thanks again
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

I would but my ignition only has 4 wires, white, brown, black/yellow and black/white. I can confirm that connecting the black striped wires together will stop you from having a spark. Brown should be your main 12v to lights etc, but the other 2 wires I am only guessing.

If you still have the ignition switch use a multimeter and work out which wires have continuity in whichever position it is stuck in. If its stuck in the off position, whichever wires have resistance between them you don't want connected together.

What year is your bike? Mine has a build date of December 91, I'd guess yours is newer? Also where about are you located?
makis-rr

Post by makis-rr »

thanks again for your help. i am from greece. i dont know exactly the year, it is with the grey usd fork and blue frame. i will try again.
have a nice day
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Good luck, and let me know how it goes. I've seen blue frame kdx250sr's but have never seen grey USD forks. Mine is the traditional green bike with blue USD forks. Are you sure its a SR model? Does it have the oil injection? If you post the frame number someone might be able to work out what model/year you have. My frame no. starts with JKADXMF1
makis-rr

Post by makis-rr »

mine starts dx250f
i will keep you aware for the continue.
thanks for your time and your help.
have a good summer and nice rides