Any experience with TCX or Sixsixone Boots?

Got questions? We got answers....
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

I have an older pair of Gaerne boots that are in good shape but the rubber of top of the foot area broke into pieces on a ride over the weekend - like dry rot. As I was looking at the boots it looks like those pieces are stitched on but I doubt they are replaceable. I did think about going to a shoe repair shop and finding out if I could get a piece of leather stitched in place of the rubber.

Started looking at new boots and reading reviews on Alpinestars, Gaerne, etc when I came across TCX boots (Oxstar?) and Sixsixone.

Anyone have any experience with either of these brands? Fit? Feel? Longevity?
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by canamfan »

Doesn't look like your getting many replies, so I'll chime in. I had an old pair of boots that were completely wore out but they were so comfortable. They also didn't offer much protection anymore because they were so worn out. So I went to cycle gear or one of those places and bought some alpinestar tech 3's. That is there older model around $200. I looked at the reviews on them after I bought them. I know doing it backwards. They had a lot of complaints about how hard the buckles are to get unlatched, and they are a little difficult to operate but getting better with some time on them. When I first rode in them I thought I had made a big mistake. I couldn't operate the rear brake without locking it up and had a hard time shifting. I just couldn't feel anything but after around 10 hours it's getting better, much better. After having those old boots for so long it was hard to get used to the new ones. One good thing about the new boots is they really protect my ankles, much stiffer, I've caught my foot several times on a root or in a rut and they saved me from tweaking my ankle. I also ripped a buckle of in the woods on something I called alpinestars and told them what happened he told me to take a picture of the boot and send it to him so they would get the correct part. They sent several new buckles an straps in just a couple of days, so I was impressed with there service. I might look at the higher end boots if I was going to buy again but overall I'm satisfied with these.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Any experience with TCX or Sixsixone Boots?

Post by 6 Riders »

I have a pair of Gaerne SG10s, my son has the Gaerne GX1s, the SGs are the "Bee's Knees" of boots IMO. I'm so impressed with them, IF I ever wear them out, I'll fork out the $500 for a pair of SG11s! Nice boots are just worth the money. Kinda like buying the "best of the best" helmet.....Once you do it, you can never go back to cheap stuff.
As far as OxStar/TCX, which I bought my oldest boy a few years back, nice enough, but they are still a "basic" boot compared to SGs and the like, more comparable to the Gaerne GX boot.
Boots that I have experience with;
MSR trail and MX boots...nice boots for $110, probable the best money spent at that price point.
Fox Comp 5s...Probable the WORST money spent on boots, at their price point I can get the SG10s for $110 more and they will last 5X as long, are WAY more comfortable and.....The Fox boots offer no protection what so ever over ANY other boot for 1/2 the price. (PM me I'll explain more).
Oxtar, 661 and Gaerne GX1....good boot for the $$, not the best, not the worst....most copied style of boots EVER (same as the MSR Trail boot).
ONeal "Rider" boots (kids sizes only) same as above.

The last 4 brands, the build quality is the thing that you will notice first. Plastic, leather, pleather...what ever comes apart/unstitched/unglued before the boots are worn out. But at $100-$200 you can replace them once/twice before you are in "quality" boot country. Again, you have to buy 2-3 pairs to outlast 1 pair of $$$$ boots.
I've never rode with A* since the fit is to narrow for my foot, but...I've heard very little good things about them. IF I were to recommend a pair of A* it would be the Tech 8 LIGHT. I really am biased to boots with a welt sole over a bonded sole.

Your choice, I made mine and know where I am at with boots now.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

I also have a pair of Gaerne SG1s that I have had for years (around 12 I think) and have had them resoled once just because I can't ever see putting my foot in a better boot. I have had several pair of Oxtar road racing boots, but never their dirt line. My son had a pair of 661s that wore well, but he didn't like the slick motocross sole so he eventually moved on to Tech 8s. Boots are a lot like helmets, spend the most you can afford and find a pair that you like the fit.
B737driver
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by B737driver »

Save up and spend a little extra on quality boots. As mentioned above....I've been down that road, bought the cheaper ones and regretted it. I saved up for a pair of sidi crossfire boots and could not be happier.
Live to Fly
Fly to Live
marco220
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by marco220 »

Thanks for the input. I really like the Gaerne so headed down that road in the near future.
2002 KDX 220
RB'd Carb and Head

I don't crash often... but when I do, I'm going for style points!