Building wife bike: KDX or Hybrid

Got questions? We got answers....
Dirtriding4life

Building wife bike: KDX or Hybrid

Post by Dirtriding4life »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on building a new woods bike for my wife. We recently moved from the desert to Western Oregon. I went riding yesterday (I ride a 06 YZ250) at Upper Nesteca OHV and I'm thinking her 03 KX144 is gonna be a handful in the tight slippery woods up here. The bike was great for her in the desert. She's about 5'6" and 160ish. She's rode for about 5 years and is an excellent rider in the technical and steep stuff, but so far has lacked speed.

So, I am having a hard time deciding if I should build a hybrid for her since I already have the KX125 frame or to buy a separate KDX200 for her and maybe keep her KX144 as my MX play toy and spare bike. It seems the cost of building the hybrid for the woods can add up fast when you factor in exhaust, oversize tank, 18" rear meat, suspension revalve, etc. However the KDX stock already has these items with the only downside being the added weight. So what do you suggest for a woods wife bike on somewhat of a budget, a Hybrid or KDX?
sarrant

Re: Building wife bike: KDX or Hybrid

Post by sarrant »

Hard to say (its like picking out a pair of shoes for somebody else) but I think a standard frame KDX sounds like potentially a great fit for her described size, riding style, and riding grounds.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The KDX motor is great for those conditions. She may not like the rest of the bike compared to the KX.
You'd need the KDX for the motor anyway.....You might end up putting the KDX motor in the KX frame and the KX144 motor in the KDX frame for a girlfriend bike, Eh?

Of course, she might be just fine on the KX144 if you re-tune for low and midrange

anyway, lots of fun
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

You might try the easy stuff first and add a flywheel weight and gear for the tight stuff, may be all the change she needs since she's already comfortable on the bike.
Dirtriding4life

The 144 already has a 8 oz flywheel weight and has been ported for bottom and mid by Eric Gorr. I don't think there is much more bottom end I can squeeze out of that little bike. I might throw a smaller countershaft sprocket on it and take her up there to try it. She loves how light the bike is and easy to start.
Do you ever head south to ride bufftester? It would be great to see how a finished hybrid feels.
I'm gonna keep my eye out for a KDX though. If she decides she doesn't like it I can always swap the motor and sell the 144 as a go cart motor.
Dirtriding4life

We went up to Upper Nestuca today and she had a tough time on the 144. First gear wasn't low enough for the technical sections. I rode the bike a little and I forgot how much of a light switch it is. It hauls balls when you open it up though.
Luckily I found someone out there on a 91 KDX200 who would let her ride it. She likes it but is afraid it's gonna make her lazy with the soft suspension and comfy seat. I think it's gonna be a perfect bike for her so now I'm in the market for a 200. Anyone have one for sale in Western Oregon? For now she is going to ride it as a KDX but I'm gonna hold onto the KX in case we decide to build a hybrid. Hopefully she will be happy with the. KDX so I can keep the KX144 as my moto toy.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Look for a 95+ KDX. The seat isn't so "comfy" but the suspension is the same as an E (89-94) and you can still get all the parts when it comes time for a rebuild.
I own both, I have a 93 E (USD forks) and a 95 H......I use the same forks (literally swap front ends) depending on which bike I'm riding ATM. I find the H to be more "nimble" or balanced, but the E has a "better" (or worse) motor, it vibrates like hell at higher RPMs (the worst part). I can say that I sure do like the seat on the E bike as well.....but I HATE the "square" edges on it for maneuverability.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Dirtriding4life

This week I bought a 2000 KDX200 for the wife. It's incredibly clean with very few hours. Has a full FMF exhaust and pulls pretty good for a 200. Does anyone know the part number for the Eline carbon fiber pipe guard that fits the FMF Gnarly Torque? I see that people have the guard, but none of the big vendors like Motosport say that it will fit.