KDX wont start in gear

Got questions? We got answers....
whos that
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

KDX wont start in gear

Post by whos that »

Hey guys, I'm newish to the forum. I have a 1996 kdx200 that I've had for 2 years, I just got it put back together over the winter.
I've noticed that I can't get it to start while in gear,but it is easy to start while in neutral. Is this common, or a sign that I need to service the clutch soon?
ImageImage
Rippin_RobMX

Re: KDX wont start in gear

Post by Rippin_RobMX »

That is how mine is and i have a 04 kdx 200. Its been like that since ive got it. I can get mine to start but you have to kick her hard haha
canamfan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

KDX wont start in gear

Post by canamfan »

A little clutch drag is normal especially when cold. It also depends on what oil your using in the transmission. a lot of people use transmission fluid type f. I always start mine in neutral when its cold but after it warms up it's easy to start in gear. You could also have notches worn in your clutch basket causing the discs to grab. These can be filed down to eliminate the problem.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Wet clutches do not work well when the engine is not running. This is by design. Centrifugal force is required to expel the oil from between the plates and allow them to turn freely.
wolfracing38

Post by wolfracing38 »

My 97 kdx220 does the same thing, even when hot, I checked the clutch and it looked fine so I wouldn't worry about that.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

whos that wrote:Hey guys, I'm newish to the forum. I have a 1996 kdx200 that I've had for 2 years, I just got it put back together over the winter.
I've noticed that I can't get it to start while in gear,but it is easy to start while in neutral. Is this common, or a sign that I need to service the clutch soon?
ImageImage
squirt some engine oil between two pieces of flat glass, around 12" across, and try to seperate them... this is the same reason your bike creeps forward while you're kicking it, in gear.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

^ great analogy! I'll have to remember that one. This question comes up all the time.