new alum piston in steel lined jug...

Got questions? We got answers....
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

This hybrid has a steel liner. My left side kips valve broke, of course. After pulling it apart, I should replace piston.

Should I hone cylinder for new piston? There's a few scratches at the bottom, barely feel em with my fingernail. Scotchbrite? Can you honestly home a cylinder with all the holes in there? I feel like my automotive stones would bite on the edges.

Thanks
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Post by Jaguar »

only hone if new rings accompany the new piston
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: new alum piston in steel lined jug...

Post by s10gto »

I agree and use a hone with long stones. They will bridge the gap and not fall in the ports. You shouldn't have to do a lot but make sure you don't make any shape corners at any port. If so they will need to be chamfered.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by newbbewb »

so I want to replace the piston and rings, but look at that piston that's in the bike. the piston itself isn't terrible aside from a bit of ring blowby, but it's cut out around the wrist pin area. This engine has been messaged, runs REAL good, but the differences between the two pistons makes me wonder if I want to throw that new wiseco in there. I'm waiting to hear back from my engine guru....
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

The only effect that cutout would have is a small amount of weight reduction. I don't think you'll notice any difference.