How much spooge/smoke is normal?

Got questions? We got answers....
RustyStuff

How much spooge/smoke is normal?

Post by RustyStuff »

I just finished up doing a rebuild, Crank seals where replaced as they were leaking. Also replaced the oring in the carb. Super M in 92 octane at 40:1. It runs much better now, buttttt....

It still smokes and sprays spooge out of the exhaust, just not as horribly as pre-rebuild. I'm getting closer to the correct (leaner and leaner) jetting but it's still doing it. How much is normal for a properly working bike? I'm hoping it goes away, as I did put quite a bit of oil on the crank bearings/top end when I put it together. I'm slightly worried that all my work and money may have been in vain though.

Are a few drop's of spooge running down the bike from the Silencer/pipe junction excessive after a few minutes of running?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: How much spooge/smoke is normal?

Post by Tedh98 »

Did you repack the silencer?

When my seals were leaking, I was able to drain out a lot of spooge from the pipe.

The excess you are seeing now could be residual if you didn't clean the exhaust out.
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

Tedh98 wrote:Did you repack the silencer?

When my seals were leaking, I was able to drain out a lot of spooge from the pipe.

The excess you are seeing now could be residual if you didn't clean the exhaust out.

Yes, but that was right before I tore it down to rebuild. I poured some goop out of the pipe, but it was so thick and sticky it wouldn't really flow. Thought about lighting it on fire, but decided against it.

I've got enough mat to do the silencer again, so I'll try that.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

How long have you run it? Have the rings already sealed?
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
BlackMist

Post by BlackMist »

I'd imagine it's cleaning itself out, id heat the pipe up as well and hang it to drip overnight. That thick crap makes a mess and can last a while smoking and puking out the back if there's enough buildup. Especially if you're repacking the silencer, it won't fill up your fresh pack. Then you will have a proper baseline for smoke/spooge, instead of potentially going too lean.