Kick starter binds when the cover is tightened.

Got questions? We got answers....
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

Trying to get the right case cover back on, and it goes, but once you start tighteing the bolts up the kicker stops self returning and it's pretty stiff. loosen the bolts, everything is good again. The kicker spring is "cocked" when it's all put together, but I can't figure out a way to make it stop doing that.

I can't find anything wrong? Any idea's, kicker worked fine when I took it apart.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Kick starter binds when the cover is tightened.

Post by Tedh98 »

I'm not familiar with E series, but does you kicker mechanism have a white "spacer" in it? It has a slot cut in it on one end.

The H series has one that can move out of place and cause the problems you are describing.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

RustyStuff wrote:Trying to get the right case cover back on, and it goes, but once you start tighteing the bolts up the kicker stops self returning and it's pretty stiff. loosen the bolts, everything is good again. The kicker spring is "cocked" when it's all put together, but I can't figure out a way to make it stop doing that.

I can't find anything wrong? Any idea's, kicker worked fine when I took it apart.
there's a spacer in mind, that keeps the spring in line with the shaft. if that spacer is dead, it won't align proper.

the spring has to be all the way in the hole location in the case before assembly too.
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

Turns out it was the white plastic spacer.
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

Hi, was the spacer broken or just fitted wrong? Having the same problem!
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

It is very easy to knock the spacer out of position. I think the chances are really low that you'd have a broken one.
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

I've been battling the same issue, just haven't had the time to look at it in a while, does the kicker shaft have to come out or can I just pop the spring off and align the plastic bushing? I really don't feel like taking the clutch out if I don't have to.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

Dekon wrote:I've been battling the same issue, just haven't had the time to look at it in a while, does the kicker shaft have to come out or can I just pop the spring off and align the plastic bushing? I really don't feel like taking the clutch out if I don't have to.
the clutch only needs the nut removed, then it's easy to get to all of it..... the spacer can get hung up and melted, then the spring gets cocked, and things bind.

easy to fix, just a pain and messy removing the case cover
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Make sure the end of the spring is located firmly in its hole on the casing ...a worn spring can result in it popping out on installing the case cover & binding on the clutch wheel....you'll know if this has happened as when the bike fires up you can hear a whine on tick over , it happened to me once & for a while I thought it was the water pump impeller!
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Dekon »

Thanks for the info guys.