Ricky Stator Lighting Coil- no worky

Got questions? We got answers....
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

Hi everyone, I just rebuilt my 88 KDX200 engine and finally fitted my Ricky Stator lighting coil.
Thing is, I've connected it up but It's not working! I have emailed them for advice, just thought
I'd ask on here as well. When I start the bike up there is no voltage output from the coil.
There is a resistance of 3 ohms from the wire I soldered onto coil and earth(the bike's frame).
Any ideas what I've done wrong? I believe my bike has a Suzuki PE rotor fitted, could that be it?

Cheers Mike.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Ricky Stator Lighting Coil- no worky

Post by Jaguar »

wierd that the PE rotor creates voltage in the ignitions stator coil but not in the lighting coil
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
koshari

Post by koshari »

Well mike ottomh there are a few possible scenarios you could check,, winding to far away from the magneto? short to earth before the coil winding?short to earth on load pulling volts down? I take it you measures the volts without a load? I suspect the magnetos permanent magnet is good as jaguar observed its firing the cdi.

3ohms sounds pretty low to me for a coil. Some posts suggest 60 to 200 ohms.
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

I'm going to pull the rotor and have a look what's going on.
Thanks for replies.
Hail seizure
Supporting Member

Post by Hail seizure »

I have took the rotor off and checked all the wiring and it looks good. I measured 3 ohms across the lighting coil.
Ricky Stator says it should be up to 1 ohm? Even with 3 ohm res there should be some voltage output surely?
My bike has a source coil with the pick up mounted on top. There is a combined CDI/Coil fitted which has 2 wires
coming off the stator. One wire feeds the CDI/Coil and the other wire is not used. Perhaps the lighting coil is too far
away from the rotor to generate any voltage? I was told my bike has a Suzuki PE ignition system fitted due to the KDX
rotor's tendency to fly apart!