bog right off of idle. what would help?

Got questions? We got answers....
the trail rider

bog right off of idle. what would help?

Post by the trail rider »

i went riding yesterday and i noticed that the bike bogged right of of idle but as it gained a couple miles an hour it picked it self up. what would get rid of this bog even somewhat. is this bog supposed to even be there or common. would reeds cure this problem. thanks . :grin:
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

did you try adjusting the air screw? I get my bike going idle speed in second gear and open the throttle quickly, I keep adjusting the screw in 1/16 turn increments until the bog is gone. assuming your main is correct, the pilot may need to be changed if you're less than a half turn open, or more than 3 turns open.

Good luck,
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds exactly like your running lean. "JETTING"
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Did this just suddenly start happening? Is it the same temp. outside as the last time you rode it?
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I agree with Indi, sounds like fuel starvation possibly. Make sure you have'nt gotten dirt in the carb somewhere. Thats where I'd start. get a spray can of Gumout carb cleaner and take the carb off and drop off the bowl. Then stick the little red spray stem in all the holes and give them a good cleaning. Be careful that you don't shoot that stuff in your eyes. Some of those holes are small. Stick it back on and see what you got. I clean my carb out like that every two or three rides just to keep the inside as clean as I can. While your in there, see what jetting sizes you have.

Whens the last time you cleaned your air filter?

Jon.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Lean bog. Set your needle one clip position richer. I had the same problem. Mine bogged so much, it would almost stall the engine. It's not so much a rpm thing as it is a throttle position thing. I bet you are holding the throttle between 1/4 and 1/2 throttle when this happens too, right?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
the trail rider

well it is colder than the last time I rode it but I havent touched the jetting as it is still stock. that is supposed to be rich right. so my guess would be that there is some dirt in the carb, or a clogged jet making it run lean. so cleaning out the carb and rejetting would not be a bad idea. 145 and 42 is stock right. so go with a 142, 40 when you add reeds and lower the clip(raise the needle) one notch. does that sound right.
get a lift, fat chicks can't jump!

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Dropping jet sizes LEANS. Raising the needle Richens. So, what are you trying to do here?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
the trail rider

oops i forgot. lowering leans and raising richens. lean it out a step, that is what i am trying to do.

when in doubt gas it!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

If it's bogging you don't! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Alright, I'm confused. :?

First you ask about a "bog" just off idle.

Then you ask about jetting changes if you change the REEDS.

To answer your first question...

As the air cools, more air will fit in the same space (ie your carb) than when it was warm. This will make your Air to Fuel ratio different (leaner--more air compared to fuel). So, if you are getting a "bog" off idle now that you didn't have when it was warmer out...more than likely you need to richen the air screw (turn it in) or go to a larger pilot jet. I suspect you should be able to clean it up with the air screw if you are in fact running the stock jetting.

To answer your second question...

If you change your stock reeds to boysen power reeds (607), have an aftermarket pipe, and the air box drilled or lid removed...THEN TYPICALLY you will need to lean the pilot one jet and lean the main one jet to keep the jetting the same. However, this is only valid if your jetting is correct before you change out the reeds.

Basically, you are going to have to play with the jetting to get it correct. As suggested in some of the earlier posts...play with the air screw first. If you cannot fix it with the air screw...try the pilot next.

Happy Jetting!

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
the trail rider

ooh now i see. maybe I should have just adjusted my air screw to get rid of the bog.

when in doubt gas it!