Tool question....

Got questions? We got answers....
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tool question....

Post by 6 Riders »

What bearing puller works for the KDX? I want to buy an actual tool, not make one, since I have so (damn) many bikes and will get my $$ out of it.

Edit: I also need to know how to get a FWW off.....anyone?
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Tool question....

Post by newbbewb »

full work week? Tell the boss you have a problem with your eyes. You can't see yourself being there.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

newbbewb wrote:full work week? Tell the boss you have a problem with your eyes. You can't see yourself being there.
LOL, I'd love to but we don't call in when we're actually sick....to much of a PITA. Easier to just puke on your hamburger buns :vom:

No, a Fly Wheel Weight
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

wheel bearings?
case bearings?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Well, linkage right now, I will be using it on case bearings eventually
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

For linkage a small shop press works best IMO, I use a vice in a pinch. I have an internal bearing puller that works great on wheels, though usually I just hammer them out since they are going in the trash anyways and it's quicker. Do you mean pull the flywheel, or a flywheel weight? For the flywheel the generic motion pro flywheel puller works great. Most flywheel weights for KDX are screwed to the top of the flywheel and require the use of a spacer for the case cover.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

bufftester wrote:For linkage a small shop press works best IMO, I use a vice in a pinch. I have an internal bearing puller that works great on wheels, though usually I just hammer them out since they are going in the trash anyways and it's quicker. Do you mean pull the flywheel, or a flywheel weight? For the flywheel the generic motion pro flywheel puller works great. Most flywheel weights for KDX are screwed to the top of the flywheel and require the use of a spacer for the case cover.
I have a Fly Wheel weight on my KDX and I want to take it off. I don't know how to do that. I do understand that it is screwed on, it replaces the fly wheel bolt. Is there a trick to getting it off?
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

If it's a Steahly you need the removal tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=306&v=Wgudb1oiPws
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

6 Riders wrote:Well, linkage right now, I will be using it on case bearings eventually

for case bearings, i'd make a sandwich

for swingarm/wheel/whatever-with-a-through-hole bearings, i'd use two sockets and a length of 1/2" allthread. one socket againsth the bearing, a larger socket against the swingarm. does a nice job of alignment too, if youre swingarm takes two bearings per side. no heat, no beat, no problem.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

ohgood wrote:for case bearings, i'd make a sandwich
I've heard about bread, but it just seems wrong to use food to get parts out of a motor. But I guess if it works . . .

Depending on the type of bearing, I use plumbers putty or wet paper (preferably thicker paper that doesn't turn to mush when wet)

blind bearing removal