Broken cylinder head stud

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

Post by Corey »

Hey Folks,
Was removing the head studs from the cylinder to send it off for plating and one of the studs broke. Luckily about 3/4" of it still exposed with half of a thread exposed above the surface of the cylinder. It broke right were the threads stop that fasten the head nut. I have two more to do but I'm leary taking those out. Any suggestions on removing the broken stud and is there a preparation I could do to the two remaining that will make removal easier? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Broken cylinder head stud

Post by newbbewb »

Spray the stud where it goes into the hole with penetrating oil. Soak it really good. Really good again, and let it sit for like 12 hours. Don't be shy with the penetrating oil. Weld a nut onto the broken off portion of the stud. Let it cool. Soak stud with penetrating oil again. Put jug in vice, or secure it somehow. Get a breaker bar or long ratchet with appropriate socket that fits the nut you welded on to the broken stud. Now take a torch, MAPP gas will do, and heat the portion of the jug where the stud is stuck. MAPP gas is very hot, and will make the aluminum expand, therefore helping you to get the steel stud to roll out easier. I would start with 15-20 seconds of direct torch, then try to delicately unscrew stud. Good luck
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

+1!

IME, the best penetrating oil is a 50/50 mixture of Acetone and Type F ATF.

Let it sit long enough for the Acetone to evaporate off before using the torch.

Good luck.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Pair of vice grips and penetrating oil may work too usually i find when a stud breaks above the halfway point they typically thread out easily from the base
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for your input. I will be giving it a try.