PC Platinum 2 and shim stack mod

Got questions? We got answers....
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Finally took the 220 out after installing the PC 2 pipe, XR400 springs and taking two shims out of the base valves. Spent the day at the Ganaraska forest in Ontario. Great place to ride all kinds of terrain and trails. Anyways, like everyone has said before the springs and shim stack mod are a must, big difference in the forks. Might even take out one more shim, not sure yet though because I had the clickers set out to 10 and for some reason couldn't take the time to adjust them out anymore. Too much fun riding I guess. The majority of the harshness is gone though. As far as the pipe goes though I don't know that I felt all that much difference. Power is smooth all through the range. Jetting 38 pilot 142 main and needle 2nd from top. Thinking about going to 3rd from top. Any suggestions?
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

38 sounds a little lean what is your air screw set at?
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Re: PC Platinum 2 and shim stack mod

Post by chkdx »

Hmmm, are you sure your kips is working?
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

Have Boyesen reeds and throttle response is best around 1.5 out. Bike came with a 40 pilot but was way too rich. Kips seems fine considering I can easily hit over 60 mph.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Well, it doesn't take much power to go over 60. You should feel a pretty decent hit around 6000 rpm when the kips opens when using a PC 2. If it just kind of revs smoothly up, I think your kips might not be opening. Normally the PC 2 makes a pretty big increase in power over the stock pipe.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

I'll check the KIPS then. Don't get me wrong, the power wasn't anemic. I think I'm just expecting too much. Now that I've had time to think about it I wonder if I just wasn't hooking up running 14psi on the rear in sandy trails. I was expecting to be able to loft the front wheel with a half twist of the throttle in second gear. I know my pilot and main are correct, just wondering if it's worth raising the needle to third position from second. If I was jetted correctly with the stock pipe would putting the PC2 on require jetting? The Pro circuit recommendation is basically stock jetting which is way too rich.
chkdx
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by chkdx »

Stock jetting is still a bit rich with the PC 2 but not horribly so. I can't remember for sure, but think I'm running a 152 main. I have a 220 with PC 2, as well. I'm also at 4500 ft elevation, so you might need even richer than me.
CAL-kawi

Post by CAL-kawi »

The pc2 seems to like 1 main jet richer than the stock pipe, in my experience anyway. This is on both the 200 and 220. It should loft the front tire in 3rd gear roll on if your rear psi is in the 9-12 range. Smooth weak acceleration sounds a little lean to me.
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

I think I'll put a richer main in. I think that's the ticket. Thanx
Silverfox

Post by Silverfox »

So went to a 145 main and it rips now. Went up a sandhill a couple times and noticed the part of the pipe closest to the exhaust port discoloured. Wasn't that way after I rode last time. Lots of smoke out the exhaust when I made it up. Thinking that was just spooge burning after really getting the pipe hot. Is the discolouring normal? Pro circuit actually states it won't discolor.