kdx200 front disc mystery

Got questions? We got answers....
yodaottis

Post by yodaottis »

Greetings from a lurker who has benefited from the site already! Recently picked up a 1992 kdx 200 to get back into the sport and have been going through it getting ready for the summer. All has gone well but I've encountered a front disc mystery that has me feeling pretty dumb at this point. The front disc is worn down to the point of grinding into the bolts that hold it on and even with new pads isn't working well. Ordered a new disc online to replace the worn disc that's on there, only to discover it was the wrong one. I'm working with the vendor to send it back and in the meantime ordered an aftermarket 1992 kdx200 front disc from the local dealership which arrived today and is of the same incompatible configuration as the other one. In looking up replacement rotors, I see a lot of 4 bolt discs such as this:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... SX355_.jpg
These seem to be the disc listed for my bike on most sites.

The hub on my bike has a rotor fitting this image:
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/2034 ... -88-93.jpg

I'd rather not pay OEM prices and am looking for an aftermarket that will fit this hub, after searching in general and on kdxrider, I haven't found much in the way of information. It's possible a previous owner swapped for another wheel/hub or there is some variation in the front rotor for that model year. Maybe I'm going crazy or missing something, but apart from ordering from a questionable vendor in China, I don't see much available for replacements. If anyone recognizes that disc or can point out where I'm going wrong it would be much appreciated.
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: kdx200 front disc mystery

Post by newbbewb »

under no circumstances should bolts be digging into the rotor. even if the brake system is totally shot. Are you missing the spacer on the axle?

is it factory kawi forks still?
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Post a picture of your setup so we can see what your seeing
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/199 ... 7#sch60090

Thanks a link to what the stock rotor looks like
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
yodaottis

Post by yodaottis »

Wow, thanks for the fast response both of you.
I think the previous owner/s allowed the pads to wear to the point of the caliper bracket engaging the rotor rather than the pad itself, only way to explain wear that close to the hub rather than where the pads engage. Here are two pictures, one from the side, one from head-on of the current situation:

Actionman
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by Actionman »

I think youre missing a spacer. There shouldnt be any bare axle visible on either side of the hub, im pretty sure.
2002 KDX 200
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Take apart what you have and then look at the parts diagram.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The 4 bolt disks are for 93 and newer KDXs. 89-92 use a different hub, so try ordering a disk for a 90.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

BTW, this one seems to be the right one....http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900195823
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
yodaottis

Post by yodaottis »

Thank you everyone for the help.
EBC MD6036D looks to be the correct one, will follow up once it arrives so anyone else looking will have a reference.
As for the spacer, took the wheel off again to double check, what looks like axle in that picture is the collar and all parts accounted for.