metal shavings in 2stroke gearbox oil

Got questions? We got answers....
bigo

metal shavings in 2stroke gearbox oil

Post by bigo »

hey all i just dumped my 2ride old oil out of my gearbox and theres a bit of metal shavings in there is this normal for a 2stroke?
at a guess my kick starter is slipping so its $hit from that should i do something about it or is it right to keep using it as is?
its a 91 kdx200
cheers

kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

Welcome to the group Bigo.Sometimes I find metal shavings in my oil too. But just in a very little quantity and much much smaller than yours. Do an other oil change (after 3-4 min of iddle time) and inspect.

Does your kickstarter slip all the time? For sure this problem do not help!
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I get that too, but usually just after replacing some part or another, like clutch plates. Keep an eye on it by flushing with cheapo oil; drain and fill with cheap oil, start bike and warm up tranny, drain, repeat and then fill with good oil. After about 100 miles of riding, check it again.
BTW is it steel or aluminum? Check with a magnet.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
bigo

Post by bigo »

thanks guys, it's steel shavings.
did i read somewhere i could use car auto oil for the box? ne type in perticular?
cheers
bigo

Post by bigo »

oh an yes the starter slips all the time and lots but cant still start it with a few 1/2 kicks.
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Maybe email the ebay seller I sent you and ask if they also have the kick start mechanism... It sounds like whats causing the problem. Maybe worth a try. just a thought. :mrgreen:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bigo

Post by bigo »

no luck on that one kay dee
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Spewin... Image Have you priced the assembly at a stealership ?? I can recall reading of a fair few people having kickstart issues with the older KDX's.

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
bigo

Post by bigo »

not as yet cos it wasnt pi$$ing me off enough yet ;)
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Everytime that puppy slips it is making shavings for ya... Nothing to really worry about but I would get it fixed...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "