Strange issue

Got questions? We got answers....
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Strange issue

Post by Dekon »

OK all you other KDXers, I have a very weird situation with my '89. The kicker will not engage sometimes and it will not return; but only when the case is torqued down. If I just put the case on and lightly tighten to bolts it catches every time and returns. It worked fine before I had to split the cases to have the crank rebuilt and replaced all the bearings and seals in it. I worked on it for four hours yesterday and got to the point where I was ready to drag it out to the middle of the street and pour some gas on it and watch it burn; then I thought about all the money I spent on it over the winter for new parts. Vintage racing season is closing in rapidly and need to figure this out.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Strange issue

Post by kx200 »

Check that your nylon spacer is in the right way.
Jaguar
Supporting Member

Re: Strange issue

Post by Jaguar »

reminds me of when I put the transmission back together on my 75 Husky 125 the night before the biggest race I would ever have. It ran fine and I ran it thru 4 gears to test it out. everything seemed fine so I slept with dreams of racing glory. The next day after driving 4 hours to get to the track I tried it out and it kept side by side with a RM 125, we got all the way up to top gear drag racing each other off to the side of the track before practice. But then to my dismayed surprise it wouldn't downshift from 6th gear!!! I had installed part of the shifting mechanism one tooth off. :doh:
Performance CDI -- KDX motocross mods -- the SR KDX -- expansion chamber analysis---> http://www.dragonfly75.com/moto/
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Strange issue

Post by newbbewb »

kx200 wrote:Check that your nylon spacer is in the right way.
pretty sure dude hit it right on. I had a very similar issue recently being in a hurry to put everything together. It's easy to do.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com
Dekon
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Strange issue

Post by Dekon »

I should be able to just pull it off the kicker shaft, correct? Or am I going to have to remove the clutch basket and take the whole kicker shaft out?
newbbewb
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Strange issue

Post by newbbewb »

Pull the clutch cover off and you'll have access to the kick starter assembly. You'll probably want a cover gasket as well.
93 kdx200-Highly modified
89 kx125/kdx200E engine
Buelldustin@gmail.com