Question about starting a four stroke

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Question about starting a four stroke

Post by Ryan »

im going to look at a 1987 honda tommorow. It is a 250 four stroke Anyway, the guy says it hasnt been started in 3 years. Im going to go look at it but im not sure if i should do anything because its been sitting so long. I was thinking maybe putting some 10w30 in the cylinder and then kicking it over lighty to get the cylider lubicated. Does this sound like a good idea or no? Also is there anything else i should do? the guy left the bike at a freinds house becasue he is away so im not sure if he has any tools. Is there anything else i should do bbefore i try to start the bike? thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Change the oil, drain the gas, change plug, pour fresh gas, and start it. Carb cleaning may be necessary, but try it first. Most old hondas will start in two kicks after a nuclear holacaust...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

Go to thumpertalk.com. Look at the XR250 forum.

do everything fuzzy says. But you need time to check the bike over and after three years, if it starts it will be amazing.

But draining fuel and adding fresh fuel is what I would try first. That is after changing the oil, an easy job on an XR. There are 2 drains - one on the left and one on the frame I think. Easy to find out on Thumpertalk.

If it's an XR250, you shouldn't be scared. Great bikes. Lots of parts still.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i really cant do all this cause it is not my bike. Im looking into buying it. Could i maybe just put new gas in it and then if it starts only run it for a little while. Also do i need to put anything cylinder so it doesnt scratch it?
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
KanuckKDX

Post by KanuckKDX »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:i really cant do all this cause it is not my bike. Im looking into buying it. Could i maybe just put new gas in it and then if it starts only run it for a little while. Also do i need to put anything cylinder so it doesnt scratch it?
Ask the guys on Thumpertalk what they would do. But fuzzy isn't worried so I wouldn't be either.
KanuckKDX
'01 YZ426F son's
'02 XR400 still for sale
'04 KTM 450exc it's all about the e-start
GS

Post by GS »

You should drain the float bowl...some have small screws near the bottom of the bowl, but accessible from the side that do just this....they are great. But, the xr may not. It probably wont go without fresh gas. I sometimes get a great deal when I buy bikes that will not start. Depends on the seller, but some are happy to be rid of something that wont even start. Look for compression by kicking it over slowly General condition of the old girl will tell a lot about what the motor is like, oil etc. Most Honda are very resilient
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Why are you looking at a Honda 250 when you don't even have your KDX together? You ask about all these upgrades and then do a 180 and buy bicycles and 4 strokes...

You really should concentrate on one project at a time. You are going to have a garage full of stuff you can't even use.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

naw i wouldnt worry about that, the next pay check i get is gonna go to the few parts i still need for the kdx.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

i doubt i will even ride the xl that much, i may restore then sell, or i may use it to put around the hunting camp.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

You can NEVER have too many bikes!!! Just make them ridable and give me a call !!!
Ha!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
kdx220freak wrote:naw i wouldnt worry about that, the next pay check i get is gonna go to the few parts i still need for the kdx.
McDonalds pay that much??
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Ryan »

HA!! i wish they paid that much, i acutally applied at BK but they were only gonna give me minium wage aka $6.00 an hour. I found another job that was $7.50 hour and i took it, not bad first job pay.
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nope... not bad at all!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "