How do you pack extra fuel?

Got questions? We got answers....
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

My last bike was a KX500 with a massive desert tank. I've looked into the Clarke desert tank for the KDX but it doesn't seem a large enough increase to justify the price. How do you guys pack extra fuel for the long rides? Most trips I don't need extra fuel, but every once in a while I will.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: How do you pack extra fuel?

Post by KDXohio »

Couple of 30oz MSR backpacking fuel cans in a backpack.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

Wow. Those are awesome. I didn't know those existed. I've filled up old anti-freeze cans and strapped them to my front number plate before but I can't do that on the KDX because of the headlight. I may be able to find a way to slip those behind the headlight. Cool.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

You could get an oversized fender bag and put them in there with a couple caribeaners you may be able to clip them to the handlebars then wedge them behind the headlight and the gas wont eat through these like plastic bottles!
morganid
Supporting Member

Post by morganid »

I have a knock off KLX look-a-like headlight. It has a little more room behind the headlight than the stock headlight. I'm wondering if I could modify a couple of cup holders or make a bracket that mount to the triple clamp.
Bitteeinit

Post by Bitteeinit »

I had a 5l fuel can hooked up to a custom rack on the rear fender, but it made technical riding way too hard, so I now just use two 1.5l coke bottles strapped in another rack. Probably wouldn't be legal in the states though, lol. Those MSR bottles are good. Quite sturdy too.
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

The next best thing is a Lectron carb. Last race was two 45 min GP style races. I checked to see how much fuel was left after a race. This time after both motos I had a 1 gallon.
cornishwrecker220

Post by cornishwrecker220 »

Acerbis make a fuel cell that mounts to the handlebar ( cross bar ) they also make one that mounts to the rear fender too .
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Wolfman enduro saddlebags and two primus 1.5l fuel bottles.
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
spl383
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by spl383 »

I have used a can of trufuel before. You can use the gas that's in it or refill with your own.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_50786-442-65255 ... facetInfo=