does the head have to be "broke in"?

Got questions? We got answers....
ckelly33

Post by ckelly33 »

Will your bike really run different until you break the head in?
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: does the head have to be "broke in"?

Post by Tedh98 »

I've never heard that asked before but - No.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

When you say "head", do you mean cylinder head, the part that bolts to the top of the cylinder above the piston, or something else?

If you really mean cylinder head, the answer is no. If you mean cylinder and piston, then yes, the engine should be operated carefully for a while until they're broke in.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

pumpguy wrote: the engine should be operated carefully for a while until they're broke in.
Or you can get the engine up to operating temperature and then run the snot out of it. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
IDRIDR
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by IDRIDR »

Tedh98 wrote:
pumpguy wrote: the engine should be operated carefully for a while until they're broke in.
Or you can get the engine up to operating temperature and then run the snot out of it. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I've wondered if MotoMan's Break In Secrets apply to 2T. Why wouldn't they?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
2003 KDX 220. RB Carb & Head Mods. Desert pipe. She's a runner!
2006 KLX 250 w/351 big bore. A well-sorted dual sporter.
2006 KLR 650. Mostly stock.
2014 Suzuki DL1000.
Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

This is a topic that could easily fall into the "which oil to use" type of debate. In the end you have to go with the approach that you are comfortable with.

With that being said, I've been doing the hard break in for years with only success and no problems. It makes sense to me.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Will definitely turn into a debate now!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

Not if the op really means cylinder head. No break in on that.

As for Motoman's method, its not bad, but man that guy likes to toot his own horn. The whole website reads like he's the smartest guy in the universe because he does things differently. And hardly any real data to be found anywhere either.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

adam728 wrote:Not if the op really means cylinder head. No break in on that.

As for Motoman's method, its not bad, but man that guy likes to toot his own horn. The whole website reads like he's the smartest guy in the universe because he does things differently. And hardly any real data to be found anywhere either.
Or maybe he IS a genius because there are no facts to prove he is not!? [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Been discussed to death on here since the dawn of this site. I'm a proponent of rapid break-in. I like to call it ring seat instead of break in, because that's all you're doing. If you're breaking in another part, you did something wrong (in this day and age).
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

fuzzy wrote:Been discussed to death on here since the dawn of this site. I'm a proponent of rapid break-in. I like to call it ring seat instead of break in, because that's all you're doing. If you're breaking in another part, you did something wrong (in this day and age).
I concur, completely.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

IDRIDR wrote:
Tedh98 wrote:

I've wondered if MotoMan's Break In Secrets apply to 2T. Why wouldn't they?

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

it started out as just a joke, but then people started to believe it, and argue about it, so he's laughed his ass off about the unintended troll for years now.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

There are similar methods described in automotive publications, as well as aviation and high performance race publications. The one thing they have in common with Motoman is heavy throttle at varying (high) RPM, and the importance of seating the rings as quickly as possible. Regardless of your opinion of motomans article, there are plenty of other sources of similar information. Just like any other debatable subject, you can find loads of information to support whichever method you wish to validate.
pne

Post by pne »

his method suggests that within a few miles your crosshatching is all worn down and there is nothing left to seat the rings. Yet how many motors have you seen torn apart where the cross hatching looks perfect? If the hatching really wore that fast the only way to properly do a top end would be to hone the top end each time new rings are put in. With nikasil lined cylinders they are so dam hard thats not necessary.
adam728
Supporting Member

Post by adam728 »

pne wrote:his method suggests that within a few miles your crosshatching is all worn down and there is nothing left to seat the rings. Yet how many motors have you seen torn apart where the cross hatching looks perfect? If the hatching really wore that fast the only way to properly do a top end would be to hone the top end each time new rings are put in. With nikasil lined cylinders they are so dam hard thats not necessary.
His method talks about glazing the cylinder, I believe. So it's not about the cross hatching being worn off, but rather glazed over so it cannot then be utilized.