Works connection skid plate question

Got questions? We got answers....
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

I just bought a works connection skid plate and was about to install it but wondering if anyone else that has one could answer a question. On my previous bikes and four wheelers the skid plates I bought had some sort of foam tape to dampen vibrations that went between the skid plate and the frame rails at the mounting locations. This may not be a problem on a kdx but the skid plate only came with a foam piece that looks like it is supposed to go be tucked up in between the frame rails. This would leave the skid plate touching the frame rails with no insulator in between. Do you think I need to install any foam tape between the skid plate and the frame rails? Any advice would be appreciated.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
doctord23
Supporting Member

Re: Works connection skid plate question

Post by doctord23 »

I suggest either foam tape or rubber to isolate the plate and dampen any rattles.
Bituthane flashing material works good as well.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Corey

Post by Corey »

I go to my local auto parts store and buy the shortest length of radiator hose that the ID curvature is close to the OD curvature of the frame rails (assuming they are round) and cut to size with a pair of tin snip and bingo I have my vibration isolaters.
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

Thanks guys. I ended up picking up some "3m Temflex rubber splicing tape" in the electric section of Home depot today. Not as thick as I would like (it is .030" thick) but I may just double it up and stick it to the skid plate, hopefully it will do the job.
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Where'd you get your skid plate at? I need to get one for mine too..... seems I can't find a whole lot for the KDX unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot, lol
Jnelson
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Jnelson »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Where'd you get your skid plate at? I need to get one for mine too..... seems I can't find a whole lot for the KDX unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot, lol
I actually got it off amazon for $60.28 shipped which was the lowest I saw it anywhere after looking for several weeks. There are also several on ebay for $65-80. On amazon it is fulfilled by powersports superstore. They actually shipped it quicker than they were supposed to also. Here is the link. http://www.amazon.com/Works-Connection- ... motorcycle
2006 kdx200
2005 CRF50 (Son's)
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

thirdgenlxi wrote:Where'd you get your skid plate at? I need to get one for mine too..... seems I can't find a whole lot for the KDX unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot, lol
OEMCycle.com has a few models. Ebay also has quite a few. E and H skid plates should be the same or very close, since the engine cradles are the same/similar.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Awesome..... thanks guys, I'll check it out and pick one up here soon before I bust something, lol :grin:
Mayor Brap Brap
Supporting Member

Post by Mayor Brap Brap »

I just ordered some of this for my Devol skidplate: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281599447175?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
MaverickAus
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MaverickAus »

Shouldn't need extra foam or rubber?

[youtube][/youtube]

Sorry for dredging up and old thread but I was searching for info on this plate, anyone fitted one and care to comment?
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by pumpguy »

Haven't fitted one of these, but the example shown helps prevent hang ups when crossing logs, rocks, etc, but doesn't offer protection to either side.

My choice would be a plate with wings on either side to protect engine parts that stick out from either side of the frame. Some are available that even give water pump protection.