How much wire for a stator rewind?

Got questions? We got answers....
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

I've read the How-To in the "Best of the Best" thread, but I haven't seen anyone mention how much wire will I need? Will a 8oz spool be enough?

So any size, 18-16 should work? I'm thinking 16 gauge would put out more wattage, correct?
K50X200
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by K50X200 »

An 8 oz. spool of 18 will be more than enough (that's 100 ft)... Probably enough for two stators - but I can't say for sure because I didn't measure (and it's been at least two years since I rewound mine) :grin:

This is what I used... eBay- less than $13.00 - shipped

Wire...
http://stores.ebay.com/Tech-Fixx-Magnet ... 34.c0.m322

Finished product:
"00 KDX200 - Baja Designs D/S Kit, '03 KLX300 Forks, KB5 Suspension Mods, Keihn 35 ASQV, Boyesen Rad Valve, Gnarly Woods Pipe
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: How much wire for a stator rewind?

Post by TheRadBaron »

Hey Rusty, I bought an 8oz spool of the correct 18ga. enameled wire with the intention of rewinding my lighting coil but I ended up locating an elusive dual-coil SR stator and using that. I'd sell you my spool for $10 shipped. If you're interested shoot me an email at theradbaron (at) yahoo.
As far as the gauge of the wire goes, more turns (thinner wire) delivers higher voltage while thicker wire delivers more amperage. Voltage times amperage equals wattage. I think 18ga. has been determined to deliver the best overall wattage for this application.
RustyStuff

Post by RustyStuff »

Cool, I'll send you a Email.
ohgood
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by ohgood »

cool, thanks for the information guys, i just ordered a spool of wire to re-wind mine for higher output.

this fall's night rides are gonna ROCK !
Clntdyer

Post by Clntdyer »

I am looking to rewind my ignition coil on my 93 kdx 200. Not sure what gauge or how many turns. Appears the old one had very small wire. Or has anyone heard of using the lighting coil for the ignition if I can just reposition it to the right spot. I have a spare stator plate to experiment with.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

It was stated above that you use 18ga enameled wire. As far as winds, it doesn't matter. You wind as much as you can without causing interference with your flywheel. The source lighting coils have two completely different jobs. Don't try to switch them.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R