Opinions

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

Opinions

Post by Corey »

Hey folks,

There's a 2000 KDX220 for sale in my area that the owner is asking $1500. Any advice pros/cons about this particular year? Pictures reveal a clean looking bike that appears to be well taken care of. Has a clean title as well. My wife has a '96 KDX200 that a love to ride versus my KTM 250sx. Matter fact I raced the KDX over my KTM at this year's VCGP and was way faster on it. Thinking seriously of selling my KTM and getting a KDX. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Opinions

Post by 6 Riders »

All years 220s are known for bad OEM piston. So be weary of that. Otherwise same as the 200. Well, different motor, makes different power.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
s10gto
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by s10gto »

97-05 220 engines are all the same. 95-06 200/220's are all the same chassis. 05 was the last built 220. Just swap out that piston and let her rip. :grin:
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for your input. 6 Riders you said it has different power. Could you expand on that? Peaky or more low-end?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

The 220 has a lot more torque and less top end. This can be remedied with a few good mods though. I don't like my son's, bone stock, 220 as much as I like my 200s. But my 200s are far from stock. He does like the 220 over the 200s though. As fast as he is getting, he is not as fast as he was when riding my old 200, but he doesn't think so.
Last edited by 6 Riders on 10:06 am Apr 26 2015, edited 1 time in total.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for your reply 6 Riders. I just got off the phone with the owner and we have tentatively set a time to meet tommorrow. You said you can remedy the torqueiness and get more top-end power from it. What mods would you recommend? A picture of it reveals that it has a Gnarly pipe on it. I sure like the power delivery of my wife's KDX. It has a Rad valve, a Gnarly pipe and I remove the KIPS spring when I ride it ( it's installed plus the washers when my wife rides it).
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

There are two gnarly pipes, the desert pipe (rev) and woods pipe (torque). You'd want the desert pipe. Add to that a Rad valve, pick one, they are all good. Then the RB head and carb mods, you can read about those on this site. The carb gets bored out and tuned, the head gets it's squish set. Those mods should put the bike above the performance of a piped 200.
You should ride it as is and then decide how much you need/want to mod it from there.
Don't forget to make sure that the OEM piston has been replaced. This should be your first order of business with a 220. 2nd would be new suspension bearings through out, then mods.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Good stuff 6 Riders. Yes, if I get it I'll be replacing the piston first thing. The owner said that he has not replaced the piston and is not sure if the PO had it replaced :shock:. Thanks for the info in your reply.
jjavaman
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jjavaman »

You will love your 220! I have a 97 with a PC pipe and did the piston,rb mods( carb and head) and this thing flys. I've only had 2 rides since I did the mods(big crash) but wow what a difference!
97-220 with a PC pipe. 2015- RB carb and head mod
Corey

Post by Corey »

Point taken jjavaman :drool:
pne

Opinions

Post by pne »

I sold my '12 250xc shortly after I got my kdx200. I think the kdx is going to do really well for a woods bike and I'll probably pick up a 300xc or a thumper for when I ride higher speed stuff.
Corey

Post by Corey »

It's funny that you said that pne because I've been having second thoughts on selling the KTM. It excels at the high speed trails around here and is an absolute rocketship. It was clearly evident that it does not like the woods type trails that I also ride on. My wife's KDX proved that to me. Now it's a matter of talking to the wife and convincing her that owning 2 bikes that excel in their respective riding enviroments that I enjoy is the way to go. A man has to have riding options....right?!! :lol: