The Great Pumpkin beckons!

Got questions? We got answers....
NM_KDX200

The Great Pumpkin beckons!

Post by NM_KDX200 »

This just showed up in my neck of the country. I will NOT go look at it. I will NOT go look at it. I WIL...no, wait...I will NOT go look at it, at least not until Thursday. Um....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWA:IT
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I guess you must be colour blind. :blink: :lol:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Those are awesome bikes. Been nice knowing you.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Mike- :grin: :grin:

Don't worry- I looked at my recent purchases (KX125, enclosed trailer), looked at my checkbook, and reality has set in again. I'm just curious about KTM's that's all (the image of a moth circling a flame comes to mind for some reason....). I've never even ridden one! They just look cool, lots of smart features, lots of off-road guys using them. Good price on that one, though- $2000 would take it away, he says.

Maybe next year.

In the meantime, I'm still going to look.
:mrgreen:
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
GS

Post by GS »

I have about 2 hours seat time on a more or less stock 300EXC. Also about 10 hours riding behind this rock-cannon. OUCH! Thoughts are - FAST, kinda explosive power, good riding position, possible head shake at speed without a Scotts, probably doesn't steer as well as a KDX. I found the power not all that friendly in rocky, knobbily, wobbily, trail situations. Very powerful motor..no doubt about that at all. Did I say it was fast?? Wonder if that flywheel weight calms the power delivery of the EXC? Anybody with experience? My brother still rides this beast, but he doesn't seem to really LIKE it all that much.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Looks like a MXC...
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

GS - Headshake at speed on the KTM is likely a spring imbalance on the bike for your weight. (Either too little rear shock rider sag or too light of fork springs) Your right in that the KDX will turn tighter than the stock KTMs. Little more throttle control is necessary on any more powerful bike - KTMs need some additional suspension valving massaging (sp) to be good in rocks, ruts. But the KTMs are great bikes!

I bleed orange but the KDXs that we have really do quite well in ALL trail riding situations. Only pitfall I noticed is when pushing them hard the front forks could be better even with correct weight springs and a little more rebound control via oil weight.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Before you look at that punkin...I'd suggest looking at it's grown up lexus brother...a Husaberg.

I know a AA rider that just bought a(nother)punkin. One ride on the Husaberg...the KTM is for sale.

Didn't check this myself...but was told that a Husa450 weighs something like 27# LESS than a CRF250X!!

Good grief! The CRF feels like it weighs about zip!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Well, I'm going to let the KTM300 go. I researched it and it seems there were some major changes post 03 or so. Another thing that seems to come up a lot regarding KTM's is the handling, and the word "squirrelly" seems to be used a lot. The last thing I need is a squirrelly bike. There's lots of bikes in the world and I'm not going to do anything until I have the opportunity to ride a KTM. The CRF250X sounds very interesting, but I"m going to wait and see about long-term reliabilty. I tend to keep my bikes for 2-5 years (I've had the KDX since Sept 01). Did the CRF really feel that light??? The specs don't look particularly impressive....
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Normally switching to a 4 stroker requires going up quite a bit in CC's in comparison.

Like a 450/4 in place of a 250/2

I would be a little apprehensive about buying a 250/4 because you will probably be overreving it allot causing engine damage.

Just my take on it since I have seen it happen.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:Before you look at that punkin...I'd suggest looking at it's grown up lexus brother...a Husaberg.

I know a AA rider that just bought a(nother)punkin. One ride on the Husaberg...the KTM is for sale.

Didn't check this myself...but was told that a Husa450 weighs something like 27# LESS than a CRF250X!!

Good grief! The CRF feels like it weighs about zip!!
Hey Brad,
I think Doug just bought a used Husaberg from cycletrader while he was off last week up in Roseburg. It's a 450 and now he's looking for a buyer for his KX500. The Husaberg even has an autoclutch!! Ha!!
How's the weather for riding up there? I'm getting the itch.

****EDIT****
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/3/8/81743738.htm
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/8/81700598.htm
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Normally switching to a 4 stroker requires going up quite a bit in CC's in comparison.
All I have is the KDX200 and KX125.... I'd ridden XR's for much of my riding life. XR75, XL100, XL125, XL200, XR200R, XR250R. I know the CRF isn't an XR, but I think I'd be okay on it. What we need is something right in-between an XR and CRF...and ya know, when I first got my KDX, I said "This is the perfect mix of the YZ250WR and XR250!"
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I have a few riding partners with 4 stroke KTM's. They have'nt touched them in three or four years as far as rebuilding the top end. But thats due to not riding very much and they don't race. If you race you ride alot for practice and racing is much harder on an engine of coarse. If i were to switch to anyother bike, I'd have to try a KTM 300 XC. The XC is the quote "replacement" for the EXC models. I think they are alittle more race ready from a suspension stand point. I have to do alittle more reading on them but all the reviews I've read so far, is that they are the premier off-road bike in 2-stroke land. If I were to buy a 4-stroke, I'd have to go with a CRF250X or CRF 450X. My riding partner has both and loves them both.

Jon.
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The thing I don't get with those KTMs is that they all have tiny tanks now. 2.2 gallons I believe. I've also heard that since they don't have a rear suspension link, it makes it tough to get a good suspension balance, it tends to be a little too harsh, or too soft. But I never rode one, that could be a bunch of theoretical BS, seems like a lot of folks like them.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've got some seat time on a CRF250X. The Showas are terrific off the showroom floor. It is very 4-stroke like! Gee...really? :roll:

It handles well, it's pretty fast..but doesn't feel like it is. Yanno..no 'hit' sort of thing when the pipe hits its tune as a smoker. Lots of pull down low. It's sure not the 'fun' of a 2-stroke. Well...imo and all. Guess that's why I ride a 2-smoke. ;)

Note: The CRF250X is r-e-a-l tall!

Note: It's a LOT of $$!! $7K+ last I heard.

I saw a fairly nice KDX200 the other day..a couple years old..$2200. $5,000 for....what??.

re: seems like a lot of folks like them.

I honestly think that's a matter of a lot of folks being sheep. They want to have 'the best' (regardless of any facts of the matter), they want to be 'cool' (ride what everyone else thinks is the 'best'). I'm not saying I think KTMs are complete piles..just that their popularity isn't based on a whole lot other than the bling factor.

They're good..there just not THAT good.

Differnt strokes for differnt folks! Well...for a couple more years anyway.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:The thing I don't get with those KTMs is that they all have tiny tanks now. 2.2 gallons I believe.
That at least has to do with which model of KTM you get. The MXC (now XC) KTM's are close ratio trans with a large tank. The EXC (now XC-W) KTM's are wide ratio trans with a small tank.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

That husaberg looks nice. LH kicker....Re-badged rotax maybe??
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

I remember looking at a dyno plot recently for the enduro 250 4Ts and I was disappointed. I think a stock KDX200 puts out around 33HP (I think that is what my title says), and the enduro 250 4Ts were in the range of 25-30HP. I guess you can get into an argument about useable power, wheelspin, etc, but my excitement for a WR250F or CRF250X waned after I saw that dyno graph. Oh yeah, the $$$ scared me off too!

I have also been looking at used KTMs of late. Everything I've read indicates:
-200 is a screamer
-300 is very luggable
-250 is, not surprisingly, in the middle.

People in these parts seem to value used KTMs very highly as their values are rather high. I guess I'll keep looking...
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Note: The CRF250X is r-e-a-l tall!
And I'm r-e-a-l short! Scratch that, then!

Tell ya what what would be way cool would be a big-bore kit and larger tank on my KX125. The frame size on that thing is just PERFECT for me. And speaking of which, how come the big-bore 125 kits have LESS ring life than the orginals? Gorr recommends 10 hours for rings! I'd have to replace rings every other ride!
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

wanaride, I think you may be getting rear wheel measured horsepower and transmission output shaft measured horsepower confused. I think a stock 200 is around the high '20's on rear wheel measured output. Without getting into the old debate on them all being measured with the same dyno and all, from what I remember, the 4 stroke enduro 250's pure numbers on HP were ABOUT!! (for anyone whow has nothing better to do than argue) the same.

A KTM 200's HP number is a good bit higher than a stock KDX200.

Keep in mind, getting it all to the ground, how wide the power is spread out within the RPM range, etc. all factors in, as well.

Also, a Honda CRF250X is MSRP $6,399 and a CRF450X is MSRP $7,199.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128