m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
NM_KDX200 wrote:>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
Note: The CRF250X is r-e-a-l tall!
And I'm r-e-a-l short! Scratch that, then!

Tell ya what what would be way cool would be a big-bore kit and larger tank on my KX125. The frame size on that thing is just PERFECT for me. And speaking of which, how come the big-bore 125 kits have LESS ring life than the orginals? Gorr recommends 10 hours for rings! I'd have to replace rings every other ride!
I remember reading a post by Gorr on the other site a while ago talking about the ring life on the big bore 125's. If I remember right it has to do with the exhaust bridge (or lack of one?) accelerating the ring wear in a big bore.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

>|<>QBB<
m0rie wrote:>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:The thing I don't get with those KTMs is that they all have tiny tanks now. 2.2 gallons I believe.
That at least has to do with which model of KTM you get. The MXC (now XC) KTM's are close ratio trans with a large tank. The EXC (now XC-W) KTM's are wide ratio trans with a small tank.
I understood the XC is the offroad race version of the EXC, I forgot about the non race version that is the XC-W. At least thats the way I understood the model name change. Is that about right? The MXC's were the desert bikes, and the EXC's were more the trail, enduro bikes.

The buddy of mine that I ride with often that has the CRF250 and 450X bikes had mentioned that in stock form, it was'nt very impressive. He had a few things done to it and it's a whole different bike. Carb work and timing I think it was. He's gonna plan on letting me ride it next summer, just to see the difference between my 220 and the 250X. His brother has a KDX220 and has rode it plenty of times, but that bike still garnishes the stock fork setup. His 450 on the other hand is a hand full. It's also a taller and heavier feeling bike. He does'nt like it in the woods, it's more his Colorado bike. Somewhere he can open it up. I've road a KTM EXC 525. The power between that 4 stroke and say my bike is much different. I'd have to admit I'd probably have more thrills on my KDX than the KTM525, but the 525 would be nice hill climber, just because of the smooth power. It's not real snappy like a 2 stroke engine. at least thats the impression I got between the two bikes. To be more accurate, to me a 4-stoke has more grunt muscle than say a screming 2-stoke. Just my opinion.

Jon.
wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Jon, I think you have nailed one of the key differences between the 4T and 2T... grunt versus hit.

I've been trolling KTMTalk for days now, and those guys say the XC is basically the old MXC, and the XC-W is basically the old EXC, FWIW.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I've heard alot of good things about the NOW 300 XC-W bike for awhile now. If I were to try out another trail bike to just ride to see what it was like, the XC-W would be #1 on the list............unless Kawasaki decided to update it's KDX bike. With the newer technoligy in engines, I'd like to see another 250 2-stroke in a KDX bike along with some updated suspension ect. Then it'd be at the top of my list, but I'd still take a ride on one of those 300 XC-W's. Maybe even a 4-stroke version of the KDx would be cool.

Jon.
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Back to the pumpkin....what do ya'll think? Should I throw an $1800 bid on it, or do you think it's just too old and I'd be better off waiting (and actually riding one of the things!)?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDX220PHIL
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by KDX220PHIL »

Sure it might be a great bike, but man it is ugly!!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

re:'Also, a Honda CRF250X is MSRP $6,399'

The -X sells for more than that...around here anyway. Well...that's what the Honda salesman said, anyway.

re: LH kicker

They've got the easy button. Doan need no steeenking kicker...

re: back to the punkin

What happened to the no bucks complaint? :wink: Sheesh...I can't keep up!!

Sure! Throw some money at it! :grin:

The last 300 rider I talked to said it was way too much bike for the woods. Now..keep in mind that 'woods' around here seems to be different than most other riders' idea of 'woods'. This guy is a very good rider..his point of view that the 300 was just too much for tighter single track stuff. I'm sure it could be tuned to suit, though. No reason it should be different from any other bike in that regard.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>>What happened to the no bucks complaint?

Oh, I could do it, but then I would HAVE to sell one or both Kawi's. No big rush on selling them, but something would have to go before spring.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

What does, "All electrical parts were removed and they do not go with the bike." mean?? Does that mean it does not come with a headlight and taillight?

If you got it at the right price, you could "not like it", then resell it without much loss at all.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

It means no headlight and tailight.

Right- I'm thinking I'll bid $1800. If I get it, great. If I don't, great. I'll ride it for awhle and then sell it (or something else) locally. IF it works out, it could replace the KX and KDX and I might end up ahead $$$-wise. If I end up selling the KTM, then I'll be that much wiser and more experienced and next time the KDX vs KTM question comes up, I can speak with authority. :rolleyes:

I can pull the money from my "book fund". I need to reprint my book and thus pay the money back, but as long as it's back in there in a year, no problem. I wouldn't want to get in the habit of doing this, but I did it for my YZ250WR and had it paid back in 3 months after selling the XR250, so no biggie.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

"book fund"?? What is that?

People usually bid at the last minute, so it might jump well out of your price range, not forcing you to make a decision. Sometimes that is helpful. :-)
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:"book fund"?? What is that?
I wrote a book!
http://www.bryankimsey.com/falconry/index.htm
about to go on its 4th printing....it's self-published and I'm responsible for making sure we have enough $$$ in the bank for the next printing, which will be in about a year. Thus the "book fund".
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

WOW! Congratulations! That looks interesting.
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

I want to hear from those of you who've actually ridden KTM's in actual riding conditions- what did YOU think of the suspension and handling? Seems like people either love it or hate it. Were YOU comfortable on the bike?
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Comfort and KTM is like Oil and water... they do not go together!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Comfort and KTM is like Oil and water... they do not go together!
I'm beginning to think so. I know you guys are sick of hearing me talk about KTM's and probably are thinking "Just go ride one!!!", but you gotta realize that I have to drive 30 miles to get groceries. The nearest KTM that I know of is 90 miles away and riding it around in the cycle shop parking lot isn't going to tell me much. So, I've been reading and reading and asking question and here's what I keep hearing. Correct me if I'm wrong:

"great motor, strong engine, good parts, good build, durable"

"a little squirrelly, needs a steering damper, hard to tune suspension, understeers, oversteers, suspension setup is critical, may have to adjust clickers between motos"

Now, for me, handling and suspension rank above motor. I like my KX125 so much because the thing is totally confidence inspiring and I can change lines at will on the track. It's never done anything unexpected (not like my '92 Yamaha YZ250WR with a world-class case of "Yamahop"!!!). The KDX is the same in the woods and off-road- VERY stable and no surprises. In fact, in 4 years, that wreck at the H.S. is the only crash I've had on the KDX! I've had some close ones, but it's always pulled out and kept going. The motor comes 3rd for me. As long as it runs cleans, makes some kind of power, and is relatively durable, I'm happy. I'll take smooth over abrupt, even on the track. I'm also very much a "set it and forget it" kind of guy. I'm not one to pull over on the trail and adjust my clicker 1 click or move my handlebars 1 mm or change my sag 0.5 mm. I might change it 4 clicks or move it 1" or something, but once I'm close, I'm happy.

Off to work.
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
NM_KDX200

Post by NM_KDX200 »

Alrightythen, boys and girls....I have played my hand. Feel free to watch:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 4593690033

(CW646 is me)
1999 KDX 200
2001 KDX 220
2002 RM 134
2004 KX 125
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

That would be interesting with the sx porting and the exc heavier flywheel. Good for the desert i bet.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

M0rie, forgive me as theie is no desert around for me to know what works well in one, but how does a motocross engine with a flywheel work well for the desert? I thought it was a wide ratio transmission that was good in the desert??
m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
Jason wrote:M0rie, forgive me as theie is no desert around for me to know what works well in one, but how does a motocross engine with a flywheel work well for the desert? I thought it was a wide ratio transmission that was good in the desert??
Wide ratio trannies are a good thing for going WFO across the desert, for most everything else with a small bore bike i'd rather have a close ratio tranny. The sand robs power like crazy, so a 200cc 2t is going to need a lot more help than say a 450 4t. The exc flywheel would help smooth out the power a bit while still giving you everything the sx ported 200 can give. I'd figure it to be a pretty nice combo.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E