Different fuel options for a plated '89 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

I've had this '89 KDX200 running since last spring but due to a series of totally lame excuses I only put about 5 hours on it last year. I only say this because I haven't really committed to any particular fuel yet. I just went through the procedure to get it plated and this has caused me to really think about what I want to run for fuel. I've narrowed it down to three options.

1- 90 octane 100% pure pump gas (no ethanol) available near my house
2- 93 octane premium pump gas with 10% ethanol
3- a mixture of the 90 octane 100% gas and 100LL aviation gas that I can get at a small airport nearby

What I'm looking for is a compromise for best performance and ease of procuring the fuel. I probably won't do many dual-sport rides that are long enough that I have to stop at a gas station to fill up with pump gas, but I don't want to rule out that possibility. I'm a firm believer in 100% gasoline but I'm concerned that if I jet for the pure gas and have to fill up at a station with 10% ethanol gas I'll be lean and possibly damage the motor. I'm in Illinois and pure gas is almost impossible to find at stations.
I'm guessing that mixing the 90 pure gas and 100LL at a 50/50 or (maybe 66% 90 to 33% 100LL) ratio is probably the best bet for performance. I'm concerned that the 90 octane isn't enough by itself. I have an RB head if that matters. I'm not sure if that makes my bike more or less tolerant of lower octane.
The 93 octane ethanol premium would be the most consistent since I can count on getting it anywhere. That way I wouldn't have to change fuels in the middle of a ride and worry about jetting. I just hate the idea of ethanol, especially in 2-strokes.
What do you guys think? Am I over thinking this and the ethanol pump premium will be fine?
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

Ok, so where are the pics? I'd love to see a plated '89 KDX200!
I read an article about changing octane selections at the fuel pump. When making a selection, the pump will distribute .23 gallons of the previous users selected fuel (about 1/4 gallon) before it gives you your selection. So, unless you use a fuel can and pump the first quarter gallon into your truck (like I do) It's probably not worth fussing over?
A street legal bike on the other hand, I wouldn't want to limit my range or destinations because of available fuel. I'd jet for the convenient and readily available 93 octane fuel that's ready at the pump when I'm out in the middle of nowhere and need fuel, cause you know that will happen one day. Maybe focus more on carrying some high quality 2-stroke oil with you instead.

I don't know anything about the effects of ethanol in fuel or anything, but don't they make an additive to help with that?
kx200
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by kx200 »

Is this a race motor that has been ported and higher compression?
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Different fuel options for a plated '89 KDX200

Post by KDXohio »

Any would be fine unless like asked above you have a high comp motor. Octane is just the fuels ability to withstand pre-detonation. 10% ethanol wont hurt anything unless you leave it sitting in the bike for awhile. More ethanol = lower performance though.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Go with the 10% 93 octane fuel. I've been using Sea Foam fuel treatment to treat the ethanol laced fuel aroung here (Nevada). It has additives that lessen the harmful effects of ethanol to your engine, carb and fuel lines. It also has fuel stabilzers in it as well which helps if your ride sits for awhile. It is 2-stoke friendly and I've had great results with it. Also, try to get Chevron or Shell gas as those folks will have the least amount of ethanol vesus everyone else.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Go with the 93, as it will be the same as what you can get in a pinch. Since you are on the road, you sound kinda stuck to what "the road" offers.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Thanks for the responses. I guess 93 with an ethanol additive it is. I'll just make sure to keep it fresh, but I do that anyway. I'm aware of the gas pump issue that causes the hose to pump a quantity of whatever fuel was last selected. I usually try to find a station that has a separate nozzle for each grade of fuel but they're getting harder to find. I wonder if they'll mind if I pump a half gallon onto the ground before filling up? :rolleyes:
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Don't use stabil or other Fuel "stabilizers" they are alcohol based additives that just allow water to mix back into the fuel they raise the alcohol content of the fuel.
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Keystone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Keystone »

ok so we got the fuel thing all figured out, post up some pics!
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Right. I'm out of town for the weekend but I'll post some pics when I get home. Thanks again.
TheRadBaron
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by TheRadBaron »

Alright. I posted a thread about this bike in the Members' Rides sections. There are some pictures there.
http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/viewtopi ... 03&t=17774
Cheers