Chain lube recomendations?

Got questions? We got answers....
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Sorry for such a noob question..... this is my first dirt bike so I'm just wanting to make sure, lol. For my streetbike I've been using the DuPont Chainsaver teflon lube for a number of years with great success (about 40k miles out of each chain/sprocket set). But again that's a streetbike so it's not subjected to dirt/mud/water quite like the KDX is. Just wondering what kind of lube/wax everybody has had good luck with. Always try and make my stuff last as long as possible. For now I'm using the same Chainsaver stuff on it just to keep it lubed, but if there's something better I'm all ears
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Chain lube recomendations?

Post by 6 Riders »

It's lube, as long as your using it, you should be OK. I use Belray, but have used the clear stuff as well as the black PJ1 stuff, with my O-ring chains. I haven't replaced a chain (that I've bought) in years. Of course I (or my kids) wear out stock 420 MX chains in a couple years.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

I use the auto parts stores chain lube doesnt matter much what you use as long as you wash it and relube after riding
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Alright cool, thanks guys! That's pretty much what I needed to know..... like I said this is my first dirt bike so I'm still learning, and just wanted to make sure :yawinkle:

I do wash it and re-lube after each ride..... trying to keep her in good shape. I really like this bike a lot so I'd like to keep it for a good long while

Corey

Post by Corey »

I use Motul and happy with it. By the way, get a skid plate for that thing!!
thirdgenlxi
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by thirdgenlxi »

Corey wrote:I use Motul and happy with it. By the way, get a skid plate for that thing!!
Ohh I know I definitely am.... it's at the very top of my list of things to get (only had the bike a month and done a handful of pretty tame rides). Any recommendations on brand or places to buy?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

RMATV has a good one for about $65, I think it is a Moose
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
chippy

Post by chippy »

If you would rather have plastic, the Hyde Racing skid plate worked well for me. Man is it tough!