Exhaust

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

Exhaust

Post by Corey »

Hey Folks,
Bought a top end gasket kit and they included the exhaust o-rings. Along with those they also included a copper ring that is the same O.D and I.D as the o-rings. Visited RMC and looked at the exhuast microfiche for a '96 KDX 200H. They have that listed as well. Question is does anybody use this for their exhaust and does it only work with the stock expansion pipe? I have an FMF Gnarly. Thanks.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Exhaust

Post by KDXohio »

Yes pull out the old copper washer and put the new one inat least i still use it with my fmf
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for the reply KDXohio. I'll be installing it. Just curious, what's it's purpose? Never seen one used with my other bikes but this is my first KDX though.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Paper, scissors, rock. Like rock beats scissors, steel beats aluminum(badly), so it is a cushion between steel and aluminum.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Great analogy!
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Exhaust

Post by offshoretitan »

That is a great analogy, Jason.

Corey, the Service Manual also recommends you re-install the gasket and o-rings with a little high temp grease, probably in part because of the movement / wear Jason refers to and it helps prevent exhuast leaks...
Attachments
Service Manual exhaust reinstall.JPG
Service Manual exhaust reinstall.JPG (23 KiB) Viewed 1497 times
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for all the replies.
pumpguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Exhaust

Post by pumpguy »

Usual arrangement is to use new O rings and high temp silicone sealant.

Copper is a common gasket material for engine cylinder heads. Nice thing about copper is you can anneal (soften) it by heating to a red heat. Quench in water or not is up to you; doesn't make any difference.

So, you can take the old copper gasket, clean it off, heat it red, and re-use it.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Oh wow, ok I'll be definately doing that.