Where should I start?

Got questions? We got answers....
Bitteeinit

Where should I start?

Post by Bitteeinit »

Spotted this yesterday while fueling up on my way back from a long holiday ride. My first thought was that the gasket was toast, but there's plenty of fuel above the gasket. Nothing seems to be leaking from the spark plug. There's a small wire/hose that connects to the cylinder next to the spark plug. I have no idea what it is... Maybe from there? I was dead tired and the bike was running fine so I rode it back the last few remaining KM. Today I'm starting to ponder what the problem is. A gasket leak that somehow splashes fuel "above" the gasket? A simple leak from the tank/connecting hose? Before I tear everything apart, where do you troubleshooting experts think I should start?

Tioli
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Where should I start?

Post by Tioli »

If you can't tell by looking then the tank has to come off and follow the trail
2001 KX125 with a 1997 KDX Tioli Hp motor

My KDX journey starts at the bottom of this page:
http://www.trials.com.au/forum/viewtopi ... &start=160

Trials.com.au / Forum / All about...me! / My long time friend the prancing horse / page 9
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Where should I start?

Post by KDXohio »

Wire hose next to the spark plug is a coolant house
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

If it were coming from the tank is have to imagine you would smell the gas. Hard to say, but it looks like a head seal issue to me, but you really just have to remove the tank, inspect then pull the head off and check out the gaskets. Drain the coolant prior to removing the head : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Check that the heads still torqued properly
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.