dampener

Got questions? We got answers....
Ryan
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

dampener

Post by Ryan »

well, i know some people got them, and i know this may sound stupid but what do they do?? i mean they are only like a 3inch box that sells for like $400. Do they help with the suspension or somthing?? I doubt i will get one in the near future but im just curious what they are. thanks
2001 kdx220

1987 honda xl250
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

They keep your front end from oscillating in tank-slapper situations, and keep the front wheel from being deflected by stuff on the ground like angled tree roots or rocks. I've had one on my bike for only one season now, but have noticed that my arms are much more relaxed while riding, I crash a lot less, my friends think I'm faster, and they think it must be engine mods. One thing I noticed last time out (in snow) I was having a lot of trouble, I dialed the damper a few notches lighter, and I was more stable. I also have found that running wide open (near 70 mph) on 2" of loose gravel on top of a hard-packed road was flat scarey on my bike. It would shake the steering head from side to side and feel like it wanted to go into a big wobble . With the damper, it dosn't do that at all.

They are a lot of money, but I like mine a lot.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I'm not sure what a dampener does...but a damper will do exactly what Mike said. :wink: I like the W.E.R. damper I have on the KDX. We'll see if the Scott's is worth the extra cash after I get it installed on the KX.
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
jafo
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by jafo »

I have a Scott's damper. I've been through alot of different terrain with it from big rocks to gravel and deep dry ruts. The place I've noticed it the most is in the deep dry ruts going about 30 to 40 mph. Basically it feels like it makes the rear of the bike trail behind the front of the bike instead of the front wheel going into one rut and the back wheel into a side rut. Where it would cause the bike to go sideways and you bight the dust hard. I've been there done that. I'm not affraid to hit rutted areas anymore with speed. Thats where I feel it most. Basicaly it just makes the bike feel more rigid and stable in all conditions, but does'nt forgive the rider with no brains that does something beyond his riding capabilities. But it does help.

Jon.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I've ridden with both. The Scotts is considerably better...and costs considerably more!!

Some bikes (not the KDX) are deathtraps without one. KTMs 'fer instance. I've ridden them with...ridden them without. Sheeeeit...the undamped KTM (125) would flat skeer you to death!! And THAT was with a $4500 (you read right) RG3 suspension on it!!

My personal opinion and all...but the oem KDX forks/damper combo is not a winner. I could BARELY tell I even HAD a damper with the oem forks. With the KX forks? Whoa! So THAT is what it's supposed to do.

p.s.
Following me (on my oem KDX/WER damped forks), my riding buddy said bunches of times...'Your damper isn't doing a dang thing!'

He rides with a Scotts........... :wink:

BTW...re: 'doubt I'll get one...'

Folks that ride with them generally agree: 'I will never ride without one!!'

They are a big deal!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
4Rider
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 4Rider »

I second canyncarvr's opinion. It is very (veeeeery) noticable in the deep sand and loose rock as well. I have a Scotts unit on my KTM 400 and it totally changed the bike. Went from squirrley beast to well-manner in one easy but expensive step. I have Precision Concept do the suspension on all of our bikes, so the problem was not in the basic setup. If you have it adjusted correctly, you won't be able to notice it most of the time. Your steering imput feels the same, but you will really notice that the bars aren't getting jerked out of your hands when you hit rocks, roots, ruts, yamaha riders, environmentalists etc.

If a dampener saves one injury by preventing a crash, it's worth whatever it costs.
'02 KDX 220, '06 KTM 525 EXC Dualsport (CA Plated) '00 KTM 640 Adventure R (for sale), '04 KTM 400 EXC, '96 Honda XR400R Dualsport (CA Plated), Were not lost, we're right here......