Splooge? (first time 2stroke owner)

Got questions? We got answers....
Knapman

Post by Knapman »

So I've had my KDX since february and up here in Canada (eh) we have a ton of snow. I have putted up and down my road a few times and noticed this stuff today. Assuming this means I need to re-jet?

diymirage
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Splooge? (first time 2stroke owner)

Post by diymirage »

not necessarily

all 2 smokers produce a little spooge

that is an aftermarket silencer you have on there which can be repacked
there is a chance the packaging is soaked and what you are seeing is old spooge

that of course doesn't mean its a bad idea to check the jetting
newbbewb wrote:DIYmirage has it right.

-1996 KDX 200 woods weapon (converted to 99 green body)
-1996 KDX 200 plated street toy (barney edition)
-2003 Yamaha TTR125-L (wifeys bike)
-1997 KDX 220 project bike
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

Repack your silencer and replace the Pipe Coupler (OEM part) which is the blue thing you see joining the expansion pipe and the silencer pipe. That will probably take care of the majority of it. You're going to have a little spooge at the exit of the silencer, assuming you're running the recommended mix of 32:1, but it should be very minimal. You might want to dismount your expansion pipe while you're in the process and clean it also. Videos on Youtube will be helpful or you can take it to a radiator shop and have them chemically boil it out. If you repack the silencer, replace the pipe coupler and clean the expansion pipe you should be good to go.
Corey

Post by Corey »

That blue coupler is a spendy part for a function of just sealing the silencer pipe and expansion chamber pipe. I buy a piece of radiator hose at my local auto parts store were the I.D. is slightly smaller than the largest O.D. of whichever pipe. Cut the hose squarly to size (a sharp pair of tin snips is what I use) and slip it on and zip tie both ends. Much cheaper and is just as effective. Been doing that for years.
Knapman

Post by Knapman »

Thanks for the replies guys.

It may be that the bike was sitting for the last few months as well. I'm going to seal up the coupler and maybe do a rejet this summer.
offshoretitan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by offshoretitan »

One other thought that I have after looking at your photos again is that you may have a hairline crack in the silencer tube near where its hanger is welded on. I see atomized spray on the inside of your white side panel. I had a crack like this once and it was similarly decorating the inside of my side panel and spooge was running down the silencer pipe and dripping on the swingarm. I cleaned the pipe really well to get the oil residue off, sanded it with a little 120 grit to roughen up the stainless steel surface and made a collar of JBWeld. It worked like a charm - no more leaking spooge. I also repacked the silencer and replaced the Pipe Coupler at the same time... Hope that helps.
Sullyfam
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Sullyfam »

offshoretitan wrote:One other thought that I have after looking at your photos again is that you may have a hairline crack in the silencer tube near where its hanger is welded on. I see atomized spray on the inside of your white side panel. I had a crack like this once and it was similarly decorating the inside of my side panel and spooge was running down the silencer pipe and dripping on the swingarm. I cleaned the pipe really well to get the oil residue off, sanded it with a little 120 grit to roughen up the stainless steel surface and made a collar of JBWeld. It worked like a charm - no more leaking spooge. I also repacked the silencer and replaced the Pipe Coupler at the same time... Hope that helps.

That down right CSI! Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bufftester
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bufftester »

your coupler should have a couple zip ties in the provided grooves as well. No need to replace it if its not cracked or dry rotted, but I have also used radiator hose for years and it works great as a cheap alternative.