KIPS Actuator Rod

Got questions? We got answers....
Corey

KIPS Actuator Rod

Post by Corey »

Heys folks,
As some of you may remember I recently have posted a problem with my KIPS actuator rod rotating without any resistance. With your help I discovered that the pin was bent that fits into the governer slot. I purchased a new pin as well as the rotating group (spacers, collar, needle bearings) that make up the governer. After putting the engine side cover back on I noticed that the pin that locates the pawl gear is at a wrong position. When I put the pawl gear on the dot on it does not align with the KIPS main shaft groove. I have timed the components on the cylinder correctly. The governer is fully seated into the side cover bearing so the slot of the governer is where it's going to be. I assembled the parts that make up the governer correctly. In researching this site on how to time the KIPS I've always noticed that the locating pin for the pawl gear is at 2 o'clock or thereabouts. Mine is at 3 o'clock. Any help would be appreciated. Has anyone experienced this?
Corey

Re: KIPS Actuator Rod

Post by Corey »

Pulled the cover back off to inspect pin, governer etc. everything looks ok. Re-installed/timed the KIPS components in the cylinder. Alignment dots/grooves timed correctly. Rotated the main shaft by hand and everything is opening and closing like it should. So it seems to me that everthing on the cylinder, governer, lever pin that fits in the governer slot is correct. Now I think I've narrowed it down the actuator rod. Do think it's possible that the rod itself is bent in a twisted fashion? Seems to me if you did not know that the nut is a left handed thread and you went to "loosened" it the weakest part that would bend/break would be that lever pin that's in the governer slot.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Does anybody know if the collar that the locating pin for the pawl gear is pressed into is press fitted or threaded onto the actuator rod end itself? I could see that rotating a bit within the rod end if you exerted enough force assuming its press fitted in.
Corey

Post by Corey »

Hey folks,
Turns out that collar is press fitted on. I have a shop press and was able to press it out of the actuator rod. I rotated it and pressed it back on. Put everything togother and it looks like I rotated it too far. I'm close but not close enough. Going to press it out again, make the adjustment and see if it fits. I'll let you know if I was succussful.
doctord23
Supporting Member

Post by doctord23 »

Good to know.
I bought a 220 basket case a few years ago where the guy broke the inner clutch case where the shaft comes out and bent the shaft.
I assume that he didn't figure out the left hand thread when he was disassembling the engine.
When you get it right, the first tooth of the paw will be in the gear on the left side when the kips is closed.
That way you will know for sure that it will fully open.
My Team Green:
2002 KX-KDX 220
2000 KDX 220
2003 KLX 300 DS
1988 White KDX 200C3
1984 KX500 (original owner)
1996 Honda Magna V4
2017 Honda Africa Twin DCT
Corey

Post by Corey »

Thanks for the reply doctord23. I was able to press it back out and made a slight rotational adjustment then pressed it back on. Turns out the adjustment was perfect as the dot on the pawl gear lines up with the slot on the main shaft. To make sure it was sound I rotated the pawl by hand (alot of resistance) and everyting rotates smooth as butter and when I let go it snaps right back. Let it be known that you can do this if your in the same pickle that I was in.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Good stuff, thanks
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy