Advice on a couple issues lowering kdx

Got questions? We got answers....
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Advice on a couple issues lowering kdx

Post by travisvt »

Well I guess I am just looking for advice on what to do with the two options I have at the moment.
I have successfully installed my Kouba links I went with the metal ones that lower my rear end about 1.5 inches. I slid my fork tubes up as far as they can go which is about 7/8 of an inch.

So at this point I have to options I am looking into :

-First option would be to just ride the bike as is with the rear lower than 1.5 inch and my front and only lowered 7/8 of an inch. I am not sure how much that will screw up the geometry and handling of my bike if I do not lower my rear end and my front end the same amount.

-Second option which is a recommendation from the actual Kouba link instructions on a way to gain more space to slide your Forks up farther. That would mean I take off my handlebars Flip over the top handlebar clamp and put it on top of the lower handlebar clamp then buy A Nother set of top handlebar clamps and longer flange bolts since the handlebars are now risen up about 7/8 of an inch. This option I would be able to get my geometry back to where it was originally but this option leaves me two concerns, one being that my handlebars will sit almost an inch higher than they did before and I am not sure how that will affect our ride being a short individual 5'7".
My second concern which is a bigger concern of mine is just a structural value of the new set up with flipping the handlebar clamp upside down which is not a perfectly flat surface where it meets the lower handlebar clamp.should not be a concern of mine or my just worrying too much?

Currently I have the parts to do either option, so it is just a matter of which option would affect the ride the least. Unfortunately for me to take my bike on any real trails it is a day trip for me so I was hoping to have some of this sorted out before riding.

Any help is greatly appreciated thank you
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Re: Advice on a couple issues lowering kdx

Post by KDXohio »

I would just buy a pair of handlebar risers and slide the forks up
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by travisvt »

KDXohio wrote:I would just buy a pair of handlebar risers and slide the forks up
Ok that makes sense, any idea where to get a decent one?
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

RMATV sells a nice set of TUSK risers. They come in 2 sizes and are well made. I think they are $16 and $18 dollars depending on size.
Another option, that you wouldn't be unhappy with is to switch to Pro Taper 1 1/8 bars using the "hard mount" adapter. This will run you quite a bit more and require new bar clamps for any bark busters that you may be running. IMO you can't go wrong either way, but with the 2nd option, you can get a lower bar bend to make up for the height change of the risers.
newbbewb wrote:^what he said.
masterblaster wrote:Man 6 riders you rock.
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

Tusk ones here they have an 18mm raise and 30mm rise for 7/8 bars fairly inexpensive too

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/13 ... bar-Risers
1990 KDX200 FMF Fatty, Answer VFC silencer, VForce 3 Cage, Wiseco Piston, KX125-J series KYB USD fork conversion, Race tech goldvalves, J series front brake assembly, air-box snorkel removed, Acerbis Headlight, KX450F Front fender, Pro Taper RM bend bars, ASV front Brake lever, MSR Clutch perch and lever, RB Head mod, 36mm PWK carb, Trail Tech Kickstand.
KDXohio
Supporting Member

Post by KDXohio »

beat me by .5second 6 riders! :kick:
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

KDXohio wrote:beat me by .5second 6 riders! :kick:
:lol:
*side note...I'm drunk, so try to read what I'm trying to say, instead of what I actually type
travisvt
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by travisvt »

6 Riders wrote:RMATV sells a nice set of TUSK risers. They come in 2 sizes and are well made. I think they are $16 and $18 dollars depending on size.
Another option, that you wouldn't be unhappy with is to switch to Pro Taper 1 1/8 bars using the "hard mount" adapter. This will run you quite a bit more and require new bar clamps for any bark busters that you may be running. IMO you can't go wrong either way, but with the 2nd option, you can get a lower bar bend to make up for the height change of the risers.

6riders if I go with the thicker bars and the solid mounts will that allow me to raise my for tubes? I don't see how that would give me more space since I would be mounting the solid mounts directly to
the existing 7/8" mounts that I currently have. I do like the idea of keeping my bars lower though.
6 Riders
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by 6 Riders »

Replied through your PM....But yes, mounting the solid mounts to your stock mounts gives you about 3/4" of rise.